Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Nanny help please!

(17 Posts)
callmedizzy Fri 10-Mar-17 10:32:00

My daughter is 19 and applied for a job as a live in nanny, she has been told that in exchange for room and food she will only be paid £85 a week for 35 hours of childcare (sole responsibility, 2 children) in Surrey area, the bm says she will only pay this because she will will also be paying the food and giving live in accommodation, I was under the impression that everyone gets nmw regardless of living in/out ? Anyone help please?

underneaththeash Fri 10-Mar-17 11:30:30

Yes they have to get the nmw but the employers can deduct £44.80 a week (max from April 2017) to cover board and lodgings. So £151.20 is the lowest salary she can receive for this role.

It seems that they are offering a (very low) au pair pocket money arrangement.

Your daughter has two options, run a mile or she could accept the job and then a few months down the line make a complaint and then tap them for all her unpaid wages! However, she's then unlikely to get a decent reference.

nannynick Fri 10-Mar-17 11:57:56

I believe that live-in domestic help is exempt from NMW. If it was separate accommodation, such as a flat, then NMW with accommodation offset would apply.

Sounds more like an au-pair wage but with more working hours. Can she look for something better? Can she look for live-out work and live at home?

callmedizzy Fri 10-Mar-17 12:03:39

Hi, she is an au pair at the min, she is looking at coming back to the uk and saw this post but I was shocked by how low the wage was, it's in the Surrey area too, I have told her to look again or stay put x thank you

user1483387154 Fri 10-Mar-17 12:11:10

If she is only an Aupair then she will not earn anywhere near as much as a qualified Nanny. Having said that the wage is still very low for the amount of hours she is expected to work.

Lindy2 Fri 10-Mar-17 12:17:18

In Surrey there will be other nanny jobs that are offering a much fairer and competitive packages. This family are after a minimum cost au pair. I'd suggest she looks around a bit more. Is she using a nanny agency at all?

underneaththeash Fri 10-Mar-17 12:44:31

Nick I'm pretty sure it only applies to au pairs now.

OP - it sounds like your daughter needs a next stage on position from au pairing. There are lots of au pair plus/junior nanny positions on gumtree in London that would be a good next step and that pay a lot more than £85/week.

callmedizzy Fri 10-Mar-17 14:24:36

Sorry for the confusion she is currently an au pair abroad but wants to move home to the uk, she has found a job as a live in nanny but it only pays £85 a week for 35 sole care hours I thought this was low? She is from the uk x

JoJoSM2 Sat 11-Mar-17 00:09:53

It's beyond ridiculous. It's illegal too.

babybubblescomingsoon Wed 15-Mar-17 23:48:52

£85 a week is way too low for a nanny. Au pair maybe, but definitely not a nanny.

GoldilocksAndTheThreePears Thu 16-Mar-17 00:01:07

It's offering au pair pocket money for a part time nanny job. Au pairs shouldn't have too much sole charge, and none for under 2s unless au pair plus. Does she have qualifications?

alankd86 Thu 16-Mar-17 04:21:00

hello my name is alan i want to get some help do you have any glass or course am single dad 3 month old please help me if any thing there for my 3 month old daughter it my first baby 3 month old single dad smile

nannynick Thu 16-Mar-17 05:41:03

Are you looking for a parenting class Alan? It will depend where you live, a community college may run something.

You can learn a lot by simply doing things and reading books.

alankd86 Thu 16-Mar-17 06:40:44

Hi thanks nanny nick yah class or any thing my child in Foster care I just waiting for court she maybe coming with me but shosil worker keep asking me u need experience for your child

Hardyloveit Thu 16-Mar-17 13:08:13

That is defiantly not normal live in nanny wage! I can't remember which agency it is (used to be a nanny) but if you type in google current live in nanny wage it should come up with a graph type thing and Surrey will be slightly lower than London (I worked in both) obviously it is less wage than live out but il try find it for you

Hardyloveit Thu 16-Mar-17 13:12:53

http://www.nannyplus.co.uk/families/salary.php

Or nanny job .co.uk have a salary guide too

Blondeshavemorefun Sat 18-Mar-17 23:08:51

Can she not live with you and get a job as mothers help /shared care to get a reference. Then look at sole charge nanny positions

£85 for live in 35hrs work sounds like an au pair job - but your daughter can't be an au pair in uk

Need to be in foreign country

Def stay away from this job. Or consider it while living with you if local and earning nmw x 35hrs

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now