Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

My two year old pushes me away when I come to collect him from child care

(6 Posts)
screamingviolet Mon 06-Mar-17 10:20:49

My two year old pushes me away when I come to collect him. My MiL has him one day a week and it works really well. It's just when I come he shouts 'No Mummy' and tries to push me out of the door! This make me feel very upset though I try not to show it. Eventually we get him into his coat and his buggy and then it's all fine and he waves bye bye happily. Any similar experiences? Advice?

Waitingonasmile Mon 06-Mar-17 10:22:14

20 month old does exactly the same some days when I collect him from childminder. I don't have any advice but I do think it's common.

SunsetOnTheHorizon Mon 06-Mar-17 10:25:40

Im sure it is because he is so very happy and content at Nursery.

My Dd would do this age 3 as I would pick her at 1pm the other children would still be playing. She didnt understand her collection time was different. She wanted to continue playing. I had to physically lift her out the Nursery. Kicking and screaming...even the staff had to help me bribe her. Terrible memories. Maybe its something similiar.

Nursery is a fun place to be compared to thier homes... endless toys and a bunch of adults willing to play not cooking in the kitchen or mumsnetting. hmm

thisgirlrides Mon 06-Mar-17 14:27:58

I'm a cm and assure you this is very common and absolutely not a true reflection of his feelings for you. although understandably difficult to hear it is usually a sign that he is happy and settled with his childcarer

NuffSaidSam Tue 07-Mar-17 09:48:10

I'm a nanny and agree with pp, it's very common. It must be awful for you, I always feel terrible for the parent when it happens, but it's very common and no reflection on you or your relationship, just a developmental thing I think.

Maryann1975 Tue 07-Mar-17 15:03:01

I'm a childminder and I've found in similar situations that it helps if the child is ready to go when the parent collects. If the one I look after already has her shoes and coat on and has been prepared that it is time to go home, it seems to help. If she is mid game, it can be a nightmare to get her to leave. So now, at 5.15, we start to tidy up, then shoes on and we sit and chat until her parent collects at 5.30. She is the last one to go, so no one else needs anything to do and it really helps her to go out with out a fuss.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now