Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Nanny Car Crash - what to do?

(107 Posts)
ChocolateBiscuitCake Thu 02-Mar-17 18:54:21

Firstly, she is okay (no children thankfully in car).

It happened on a country lane. Very narrow section that is notoriously difficult to navigate. Nanny stops when she sees an oncoming driver with horse box 20m away. Rather than stopping and pulling over early on (which she could have), the horse driver continues to the edge of nanny's car and insists nanny reverses - which nanny says she couldn't (not sure how true this is, but this is the version of events!). So after a war of words, horse driver ploughs forward and takes off the side of MY car.

Horse driver doesn't stop, until nanny runs after. No apology and I have been given the drivers name & number. I will call for the horse ladies version of events but, I wanted to check:

* Who do you think is in the wrong?
* How do I present this to the insurance company?
* What happens if horse lady won't give her insurance details (her phone number suggests she lives in our village).
* How do the insurance companies decide who is in the wrong?
* How much is reasonable to ask nanny to pay for (she is on very good salary and lives in, so has no bills etc to budget for!), given there has to be an element of anger in this debacle otherwise it wouldn't have happened?? In my mind it was avoidable.

Part of me is furious at nanny as she should know that horse boxes are difficult to reverse so should have tried harder to reverse, regardless of whether horse driver was being unhelpful and difficult.

I am obviously furious that the horse driver has caused significant damage to an expensive car.

Any advise is much appreciated, please.

Off to find wine....

NapQueen Thu 02-Mar-17 18:56:17

I think you need to call the horsebox owner and ask him for his version if events. Nanny surely would have to claim on her own insurance so id be insisting she reports it to her insurer.

Id ask her again why she couldnt reverse.

NewPuppyMum Thu 02-Mar-17 18:56:58

Nanny pays nothing. shock!

emochild Thu 02-Mar-17 18:57:28

If she can't reverse a car she shouldn't be driving it

unless there was a car right up her backside that refused to reverse but then there would be a witness

NapQueen Thu 02-Mar-17 18:57:49

Hang on....if it ends up costind the OPs party/side then why shouldnt she??

ReginaGeorgeinSheepsClothing Thu 02-Mar-17 18:59:15

Horse box should pay- they blundered on!

StarCrossdSkys Thu 02-Mar-17 19:02:09

Horse box is surely in the wrong. You can't just plough through obstructions on the road, whatever the reason for the obstruction is.

mowgelijeffs Thu 02-Mar-17 19:05:20

Well if the nanny is at fault, I still don't think she should pay unless she is charged with some sort of criminal offence related to driving.
As a part of employing her as your nanny you also take the good with the bad, I know it sucks sad

PotteringAlong Thu 02-Mar-17 19:05:23

Horse box is in the wrong. The nanny pays nothing.

teaandakitkat Thu 02-Mar-17 19:06:54

This sounds like it was totally avoidable.

The nanny stopped and waited, the horse box continued to drive, knowing full well they couldn't get past. It's their fault, totally.

But the nanny should have tried harder to get out of the way. She could have got out and had a look around before reversing, the horse box driver could have directed her while she reversed.

Surely the horse box is damaged too? Why would you deliberately drive your car through a space that's too small, especially if you have a horse in your trailer?

No wonder you're mad. I would be too.

ChocolateBiscuitCake Thu 02-Mar-17 19:07:44

The only reason I would expect nanny to at least contribute to this "accident" is that so far, this accident only happened because of pride and confrontation. If both parties had been sensible, it wouldn't have happened.

We pay nanny's insurance on my car (and her car, as it happens...we are blo*dy generous!) and she was driving my car because she was off to collect one of my children from school whilst I gave the smaller ones tea etc.

applepearorangebear Thu 02-Mar-17 19:08:30

You don't need insurance details - just a registration number. If you can get that then your insurance company can chase down horse driver's insurer. It's a criminal offence not to provide those details in the event of an accident.

Horse driver was in the wrong. Whatever the ins and outs of who should have pulled over / reversed first, your car was stationary and horse driver drove into the side of it. The accident would not have happened if she had not done so. That is how the insurance company will look at it.

I wouldn't bother getting your nanny to pay for the damage, or any part of it, to be honest: I would have thought it would sour your relationship with her, and (I'm assuming) that you won't be left in any financial difficulty as a result. She made a mistake in not reversing, but it isn't as though she got pissy, drove through a non-existent gap and scraped your car. And she probably feels pretty rubbish about it anyway.

intheknickersoftime Thu 02-Mar-17 19:08:40

The horse box owner sounds like a massive twat. He has driven into your car.

intheknickersoftime Thu 02-Mar-17 19:09:30

And I am shock that you would ask the nanny to pay. You have insurance!

Sweets101 Thu 02-Mar-17 19:09:37

Horsebox lady needs to give you her registration, pass that to the insurance company, nanny can tell theme her version then let them deal with it

Sweets101 Thu 02-Mar-17 19:10:38

Unless you have an excess nanny really shouldn't pay anything

intheknickersoftime Thu 02-Mar-17 19:10:59

And don't bloody call horsebox lady! Leave it to the insurance company!

ChocolateBiscuitCake Thu 02-Mar-17 19:13:01

Thank you for all the responses - so kind to get back to me so quickly.

apples - your response is hugely comforting especially regarding the insurance element of them not seeing angry nanny at fault (assuming she was stationary! I will call in the morning for the version of events). We have the reg number, so good to know it can all be tracked down.

NerrSnerr Thu 02-Mar-17 19:13:07

I would speak to the insurance company. They might also want the police involved if the horse box woman caused wilful damage to your car. I wouldn't be calling her, of course the horse box woman is going to tell you the nanny was in the wrong, she won't tell you she took the side off your car on purpose!

ChocolateBiscuitCake Thu 02-Mar-17 19:15:59

The insurance excess is £1000, so every chance we have to pay out of our pocket (husband just used the no claims as he reversed into someone in station car park)...that is why I wondered if the nanny should at least contribute given it was a battle of wills and completely avoidable?? I see this is not a popular idea so will refrain from suggesting it to her!!

2 accidents in 2 months - before that, nothing ever!

OneWithTheForce Thu 02-Mar-17 19:16:08

Entirely horsebox persons fault!

Nannys car was stationary. She did not move. Her car did not damage anything or anyone. The other driver chose to drive through a gap they were too wide to get through without damaging. Nanny may have been wrong to refuse to move, BUT, she did not force that car to drive past her, they had the option of calling the police about nanny causing an obstruction. They chose not to do that and ploughed past her causing damage. Their insurance has to pay for your damage.

WhisperedLoudest Thu 02-Mar-17 19:16:21

If your nanny was stationary and someone else drove into her and then drove off the correct response is to call the police.

greenfolder Thu 02-Mar-17 19:18:42

In reality it will be one persons word against the other. I doubt the other party is going to admit in any way to colliding with your statonary vehicle.
I would stick it through your insurance and be preapared for it to settle 50/50. You will get half your excess back but will lose some ncd unless protected

iMatter Thu 02-Mar-17 19:19:58

Just as an aside, it's not "generous" of you to pay to insure your nanny to drive YOUR children in YOUR car.

zombiesarecoming Thu 02-Mar-17 19:20:29

If horse box owner can't reverse horse box then they shouldn't be driving it

Nanny may have been stubborn but if stationary is not at fault in any way

Horse box driver needs horse box shoving up the fucking high and mighty arse

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now