Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Questions about employing a nanny for my twins

(7 Posts)
MumOfPreemieTwins Thu 02-Mar-17 09:58:35

Hi!

When I go back to work I'd like to hire a nanny (3 days a week) to look after my twins. I've not had a nanny before though (older child went to nursery) and am a bit overwhelmed by the details...

For example, I know I would be her "employer', but how does one go about setting this up? Also, what happens if she is sick (especially for a long time), presumably I would have to pay her sick leave, and then pay for alternative child care as well?! How do people survive financially when that happens???

Also, what would you say is a fair hourly rate for looking after 1 year old twins in the South West? And if a nanny asks for xxx pound an hour, do I have to pay NI and tax on top of that or does that come out of her wage?

Basically I'm a total nanny novice and if anyone could point me in the direction of some helpful resources about the technicalities of employing a nanny that would be great:-)

Thanks!

wickerlampshade Thu 02-Mar-17 10:45:56

you need to agree a gross hourly rate, so that her tax etc is up to her. in London it would be about £11-13 gross which is about £10 net depending on hours

ring HMRC to register as an employer

your payroll company will sort the details - payefornannies are excellent and much cheaper than some of the others

yes, if she's sick you are liable for SSP which is about £90 per week for up to 26 weeks plus alternative child care - used to be reimbursed but that was stopped a few years ago. I complained to my (conservative) MP who said "basically we can't be seen to be making it easier for those who can afford nannies" angry

nannynick Thu 02-Mar-17 12:47:32

For example, I know I would be her "employer', but how does one go about setting this up?

Contact a nanny payroll company. They will charge an admin fee but they will do it for you, produce the payslips, remind you to pay HMRC and deal with enquiries from HMRC. www.nannypaye.co.uk

Also, what happens if she is sick (especially for a long time), presumably I would have to pay her sick leave, and then pay for alternative child care as well?!

Yes, Government removed the statutory funding for sick pay that employers got several years ago.
As a nanny I can not recall the last time I was sick enough to take time off from work.

Also, what would you say is a fair hourly rate for looking after 1 year old twins in the South West?

Can you be any more specific in location? Bristol I expect is quite different to Truro.

Very rough ball park would be £8-£14 gross per hour.

Looking at job adverts can help... www.nannyjob.co.uk/childcare/Nanny/South_West_England?results=15

And if a nanny asks for xxx pound an hour, do I have to pay NI and tax on top of that or does that come out of her wage?

Always a tricky issue... you need to ask specifically if they mean Net (take home) or gross (before taxes are deducted). Ideally I feel parents should be stating in the job advert how much they are offering as gross pay, then negotiate with candidates if necessary. Though some nannies don't seem to understand gross - I do try to educate anyone who asks!

For more information, keep asking questions on here and contact a nanny payroll provider. You will also find that nanny payroll provider websites often have lots of information.

wickerlampshade Thu 02-Mar-17 12:53:09

payroll companies suggest 4 weeks probation period (during which you can sack for no reason with just 1w notice) but I always had 6. gives you time to work out if they are workshy or likely to take lots of dubious sick leave. never pay more than the minimum for sick leave in the contract (first 3d unpaid then SSP) - you can always use your discretion to pay in full for a good nanny who is genuinely ill.

BuffyFan Sun 05-Mar-17 20:59:10

We have a nanny for our twins (now 16 months) and their big brother (5). She started in October and we've never looked back. I'd definitely get a payroll company. Payefornannies have been great, they tell you what to pay and when. I did a lot of reading on the nannytax website first. In terms of money, to be honest we worked out backwards what we could afford based on what nursery for 4 days a week for the twins, and wrap around care and holiday clubs for my eldest, took off annual costs like payroll and insurance (check your home insurance first!), and what was left was what we could offer as an hourly rate. We then crossed out fingers hard that we'd be able to find somebody who would accept that!

nannynick Sun 05-Mar-17 21:09:53

BuffyFan, working out the costs backwards is a great idea. Great to hear it is going great with your nanny.

MumOfPreemieTwins Mon 06-Mar-17 08:03:33

Thanks all for the advice!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now