Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Nanny with own child- reasonably rates in London

(10 Posts)
Feelingchipper Sat 25-Feb-17 19:45:42

Hi, I live in greater London (zone 5). How much do you think is reasonable to pay (net or gross) for an experienced, qualified nanny who is bringing her own child? I would have thought £10 gross since it is similar to a nanny share, albeit she will always be coming to me. Either way, my children will not get her undivided attention and she will be saving on childcare for her own child therefore it seems fair for there to be a reduction in hourly rate but I'm not sure what is reasonable/market rate.

Yukbuck Sat 25-Feb-17 20:49:33

I would probably accept around a £2 per hour decrease. I'm not in London but don't want to give my location away but where I'm at rates tend to be between £8-12 per hour gross. (£8 for newly qualified) I'm currently on about £10 for single family rate. I imagine by the time I have children I'd be happy with £8-9 per hour. Assuming no major changes in rates between now and then.

nannynick Sat 25-Feb-17 21:30:40

I agree, advertise £10 gross and see who applies.

underneaththeash Sun 26-Feb-17 09:07:49

It depends on the days and hours. If its just an after school job, the rate won't be much different to a nanny without her own child, if its full time then, yes £10/hour seems about right.

Feelingchipper Sun 26-Feb-17 09:25:47

It will be full days (8-6) and as many days as she's able to do (up to 5 days).

mrswishywashy Sun 26-Feb-17 20:50:49

I didn't take a pay cut when I went back to work with my daughter. I'm paid the going rate for my area which is just outside the M25, £10/hour gross.

wickerlampshade Mon 27-Feb-17 10:15:36

Past threads on this suggest about 25% off the going rate. Why on earth anyone would pay full market rate I have no idea.

Ilovewillow Mon 27-Feb-17 10:21:48

Sounds about right we paid £14 ph in Hampshire for a nanny who solely looked after our children so a reduction to £10 sounds fair.

Squiffy01 Tue 28-Feb-17 15:00:06

£10 gross is that honestly what nannies get taking in their own child? We have started talking about having children but might have to put it off a bit.

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 07-Mar-17 14:41:00

It's not like a share as nanny doesn't get her choice in say if things unlike a share

Generally they say £2 less an hour

Not sure where zone 5 is but £10gross seems low for London but if average is £12/14gross then guess about right

Some nannies feel they have the right of same salary. Great if you get a job paying the same but don't assume it

Nanny has no childcare fees and also have her child with her all the time and won't be giving 100% attention to her charges

This is why it should be a slightly lesser rate

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now