Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

'Second' interview - nanny meeting the family - advice?

(9 Posts)
JeewizzJen Thu 23-Feb-17 21:39:15

I have been interviewing several nannies over the past few weeks, and I have shortlisted a couple to come and meet the children. I've already spent time talking and asking questions in my previous meetings, and now want to see how they are with the children before making any decisions. This is all a bit new to me - any advice on what this 'interview' should be like? Should I just let the kids do whatever they're doing and let the nanny join in as she sees fit? Anything specific that I should look out for?

I tend to be a bit of a heart over head kind of person with these types of situations, so whilst I think gut feeling is really important, I'm conscious of missing something really obvious!

Any advice greatly appreciated!

littlemissM92 Thu 23-Feb-17 21:45:57

Tell them your routine and ask them
What their thoughts are on discipline.. if they don't eat their tea etc how would she handle x y z and see if her answers match up with what you would like x

JeewizzJen Thu 23-Feb-17 21:54:57

Thanks littelmiss - I've already had that kind of discussion in the first interview and been comfortable with the answers, so this one is purely to have them meet the kids and DP and see how they get on.

JoJoSM2 Thu 23-Feb-17 23:20:05

Depending on how old the children are, you could ask them to come up with their own questions to ask the nannies.

Pigeonpost Thu 23-Feb-17 23:24:51

I'd be observing from a distance more than anything. Introduce the nannies to the kids and then keep half an eye on them whilst you busy yourself making tea etc? Our nanny met the baby at her first interview as he was there anyway so it was easy to see how she interacted with him.

JellyTipisthebest Fri 24-Feb-17 03:32:41

I helped at Bath time, It was twins and a toddler mum and dad were about and kind of tag teamed took the older one off and chatted to him. I sat on the mums bed while she fed them and chatted to her the little boy came in and asked if I could read him his story I looked back at mum to check that was ok and did. I settled him to bed. Mum came in with one of the little ones and asked me to wait downstairs while she just popped them in bed. Dad was downstairs tidying up he made me a cup of tea. I sat in the lounge I think they had a quick chat with each other and offered me the job.

So pick some thing not to intimidated for the nanny to join in with where there is plenty to do. I did a fair bit but was guide by the kids. I think there is no point in pushing yourself on them. I didn't know if they had different people to help or not. The boy asked if I was going to back and play another day I think I said if he and mummy and dad wanted me to I would. I never asked him if he did as I didn't feel that was fair to ask him. At least one of his parents heard him ask me.
Be clear on what your warming signs are that its not going to work.

JeewizzJen Fri 24-Feb-17 07:45:37

Thank you for your replies everyone, some useful tips there!

ittybittyluna Fri 24-Feb-17 19:11:31

These meeting go so much more smoothly when there is a distraction or activity for the children and the nanny can join in with no pressure. Examples: board game, bath time, helping with homework and then sitting down to dinner with the children and parent, getting them to show the nanny something interesting of their choice etc. Then watch the nanny's interaction with the children and how they respond to her.

eurycantha Sat 25-Feb-17 13:59:25

I have two jobs ,at one ,on the second interview I went to me et the children ,I played playdo with the children,at my other job I came back for a second interview and sat down had coffee ,the little girl was there ,came over with her doll ,so I got down on the floor and played and read her a story which I had in my bag,the mum told me after that I got the job because I got down and played with her ,some they interviewed did not get down on her level and play .When you interview with the children present they will behave a little differently with the nannies and hopefully there will be one that you will just like the way she chat/acts with your children.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now