Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Nanny references - she doesn't have one?

(16 Posts)
eyespydreams Thu 23-Feb-17 14:16:55

Just trying to hire a nanny in London for three days a week. Doing it all by the book, PAYE etc, but have been interviewing a Filipino nanny. There is obviously a very tight-knit Filipino community of nannies, housekeepers and cleaners and so on in London and so she was recommended through a friend's nanny, not through an agency. She has a British passport (just adding this detail to make it clear I'm DEFINITELY not trying to do some dodgy cut-price care deal taking advantage of someone with no visa!!!)

She worked in Saudia Arabia for a long time then came here in 2005. She says she worked as a live in nanny for a family for several years from when they had a baby. She has more recently been working as a cleaner/housekeeper part time.

She gave me a reference to check that I thought was her previous nanny employer in London, but turns out to be someone at her church who sounded a bit huffy about giving it (but this seemed related to her having stopped coming to church for a while after getting married). She says she can't give me another reference because the woman who she nannied for is in the countryside and she doesn't have their number? And then something about being a born again Christian? (her written English isn't the greatest).

On the one hand I don't want to leave my child with someone who does not have fully, open checkable references. On the other hand, I feel like a lot of Filipino women have been treated very casually by employers and its really hard for them to have to rely on the whim of a past employer a bit like a Victorian housemaid. Is the reference from someone at her church and a reputable nanny contact enough do you think?

Westfacing Thu 23-Feb-17 14:33:50

IMO, no.

As a nurse I work with many Filipina women who are nurses, carers, housekeepers, etc., and they all have a long work history and commensurate references.

If she's of mature enough age to be looking after your children then she must be able to supply references.

njfhow Thu 23-Feb-17 14:34:12

Personally I would not risk this. Sorry but just giving my opinion. She doesn't sound like she was honest with you about who she was even giving as the reference - either that or there are communication issues since you thought it was a previous employer but it turned out to be someone from church - who doesn't sound like much of a reference to me. Also it is odd that she could not even give either the previous employer or the place she was housekeeping for. And losing the number is a bit dubious as well.

memememe Thu 23-Feb-17 14:34:35

i would want to speak to a few more people. she must have the address of the previous employer. i assume youve seen her dbs check? also im not sure i would want a nanny who doesnt have good written english at the end of the day she is in charge of your children.

there are hundreds of nannys to chose from in london why choose someone with no background checks available?? i dont understand it.

maltesersarethedevil Thu 23-Feb-17 14:36:27

No from too am afraid.

heateallthebuns Thu 23-Feb-17 14:40:33

I'd want proper references. Otherwise you don't really know anything about her. I like to have references then also check the people are real via their work website, Facebook etc.

Yerazig Thu 23-Feb-17 14:41:26

So you would really consider someone with not one professional reference to look after you child. There are so many qualified experienced nannies looking for a job, please do your child a favour and pick Someone who has references.

user1483387154 Thu 23-Feb-17 14:42:21

Qualified Nanny here, there is NO WAY I would employ a Nanny without a reference from her latest job.

dinkystinky Thu 23-Feb-17 14:50:29

No - I would proper references from at least one recent employer - all you have at present is a character reference or two.

ILoveCheeseMoreThanYou Thu 23-Feb-17 15:01:20

I wouldn't want someone looking after my child if I couldn't speak to their most recent employer.

Littleballerina Thu 23-Feb-17 15:04:53

No. Plenty of other nannies with references.

nannynick Thu 23-Feb-17 18:57:37

Been here since 2005 and in that 12 years does not have the contact details for any former employer? Sounds a bit odd. Their last employer at least should be contactable.

bummymummy77 Thu 23-Feb-17 19:00:00

Absolutely no no no.

eyespydreams Thu 23-Feb-17 19:05:46

That's great! I have already decided no before I checked the thread, as ever writing down the post made it really clear. She has since provided another reference, but there is definitely something off and since MN introduced me to the Gift of Fear I have been a lot sharper! I just needed to hear that I wasn't being a bitch, everyone's responses really appreciated.

eyespydreams Thu 23-Feb-17 19:06:23

Had already checked that should read. Thanks again! You all make me feel so much better!

nannynick Thu 23-Feb-17 19:57:05

Trust your instincts.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now