Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Leaving a "permanent job" after 3 months?

(8 Posts)
user1476735930 Wed 22-Feb-17 22:08:01

I am a nanny and I am currently in a bit of a sticky spot: I have been with my current employers for three months following a lengthy wait for me to arrive in their home (they waited 6 months for me) however I have spent the past 4 weeks utterly devastated by the way that they have repeatedly made me feel (as a nanny and as a person).
I am a professional nanny and hold several qualifications deemed desirable for many families looking for nannies. The whole reason this family employed me was because of said qualifications and my experience which they deemed made me the perfect candidate to help their only child (3). However since I have joined their family, after two months of bliss it has drastically gone down hill with them constantly criticising my judgement and contradicting themselves repeatedly. They have made me feel as though I am a witch and an unfair nanny while also making me feel as though I am an unfair person when I have asked for time off. They have also become extremely demanding at late notice and put me in positions I feel I cannot say no to.
I need to leave this job however I am very worried about how it will look on my CV. Does anyone have any advice?
Thank you so much!

Maryann1975 Wed 22-Feb-17 22:12:55

I left a nanny job after six weeks and went straight into another job. I just didn't gel with the family and never enjoyed working for them. I explained the issue to my new family who were fine with it. I had been with my previous family for over 3 years, so they could see that I didn't have form for walking out on new jobs quickly.

user1476735930 Wed 22-Feb-17 22:31:52

Thank you this is really good to know!

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 23-Feb-17 07:41:58

When you say time off what do you mean? Holiday or sickness

Some jobs don't work. Life is too short to be unhappy

Look for another job

JoJoSM2 Thu 23-Feb-17 23:28:43

I agree.... some posts just don't work out. As long as you have long term experience and references from previous employers, you'll be fine.

eurycantha Sat 25-Feb-17 14:24:33

Leave!!

KatyBerry Sat 25-Feb-17 14:32:03

I hired a nanny straight from a job where she'd been for 6 weeks. I trusted her reasons and she had impeccable prior references. It turned out very well for us

ImNotReallyReal Sat 25-Feb-17 15:09:09

I'm not an nanny, but I am an employer and have been an employee. My shortest ever permanent position was one day. It's the only time I've walked without notice.

If someone came to me and said they'd left a job after a few months I'd just assume it wasn't a good fit (if the rest of their CV was solid). Don't stay where you are for the sake of a reference or CV (whilst being unhappy). You have desirable skills so move on to someone who will appreciate them. Get your stealth job hunt going today.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now