Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Son is 4 years old and still breastfeeding

(10 Posts)
LoveMyKids123 Tue 21-Feb-17 10:06:40

My boy Drake turned 4 this year. Me and the hubby have tried to ween him onto bottle feeding, but he still reaches for the booby whenever he's hungry. How do we resolve this issue?
- Gladis

VintagePerfumista Tue 21-Feb-17 10:09:44

Maybe re-post in the feeding section?

Rule of thumb tends to be "never offer, never refuse" though as far as I remember (back in the day)

Lilypurple Tue 21-Feb-17 10:11:57

How many times do u still bf? Do u mean evenings at bedtime through the night? If it's during day only, I would say to go cold turkey. Have a big chat and make a big deal of saying in 2 days time mummy's milk is going to be gone. Here is a new drinking cup for anytime you need a drink and here's the fruit bowl for anytime you need a snack. Nighttime feeding I have no suggestions as i fear that might have a knock on effect to his sleeping. Good luck

themightymoog Wed 22-Feb-17 15:10:56

At 4 as long as there are no other issues, he should be able to understand, "no, sorry all mummy's milk has gone". You just have to refuse him and go cold turkey. Mine have all bf till 2.5 or 3 and that was the only way I managed to get them off. You'll have whinging for a couple of days but he will soon give up, I promise! ( though my 4 year old still likes a boob grope when he's tired)

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 23-Feb-17 07:45:10

4yrs? Why would you go to bottle. Just give him a cup and say mummy milk gone now

He will be at school in sept so have to stop daytime feeding

Does he feed at night /during night

Or more of a comfort thing

If you want to stop then be firm and warn him and say as above 2 days time milk is stopping

Nobrain Thu 23-Feb-17 09:43:45

Agree that he doesn't need a bottle. Try a Doidi Cup if he doesn't like normal ones and I'd offer food when he's hungry and refuse the boob.

PoisonousSmurf Thu 23-Feb-17 10:36:42

FFS! He would be at school by now. Bottle? Is he a baby?

Lilacpink40 Thu 23-Feb-17 10:37:42

This is a joke?

PotteringAlong Thu 23-Feb-17 10:38:32

He doesn't need a bottle at 4. Just tell him it's all gone, distract when he goes to feed. Wear high cut tops / jumpers so no easy access.

garmsfresh Fri 24-Feb-17 12:21:51

This is so fake 😂come on now people " my boy drake " 😂😂

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now