Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

AIBU au pair behaviour

(12 Posts)
hopgarden1 Sat 18-Feb-17 18:17:30

We have been away this week; au pair has been here full pay. She chose to go away thurs and Fri; but for Mon-Wed she was here doing her normal work. I'm home and find children's rooms dirty, beds unmade (we left at crack of dawn) and she hadn't changed their sheets. She has also not put the bins out, taken the smelly rubbish bin out all week (now overflowing from her rubbish) and she hasn't watered any plants. Essentially I think she has done one load of ironing, one load of washing all week.
She's also used the bloody car to drive 150 miles and back when I had specifically said she couldn't borrow the car.
Do I just get rid of her? Or explain I'm disappointed and hope she learns ? (She's 25 so I think this is her standard behaviour when left alone- lazy)

Yukbuck Sat 18-Feb-17 18:23:36

That sounds awful. She has left the house in a state and used your car for a long journey which you had said no to. I'd be very annoyed and I don't think you'd be unreasonable to just get rid. If I'd used my parents car without their permission (for even 10 miles) they'd have been mega pissed off and I'd have had a bollocking.
She's 25 not a teenager. I'm younger than her and I'm a very professional, mature nanny. I would never dream of doing the above

Doesitfit88 Sat 18-Feb-17 18:24:42

I think you are getting 25 year old mixed up with 15 year olds regarding the mess. Also using the car is unacceptable, I would give an official warning or let her go depending on your contract.

OVienna Sat 18-Feb-17 19:53:03

That's a ridiculous age to behave like that, especially regarding the car and the bins. She is definitely too old not to know to take the bins out.

I guess I'm a bit soft in certain ways, and probably I wouldn't have expected much in the way of tidying etc when I was gone. But I'd be furious about the two points noted above.

OVienna Sat 18-Feb-17 19:54:30

This is why we've always recruited younger, tbh - I think I can be more patient with a young person's foibles. And I've always wondered why a 25 year old would want to live with as a family as a 'big sister' on pocket money. But I guess if you need a driver the insurance for someone under 25 is pretty steep.

Hisstory Sat 18-Feb-17 20:28:04

Did you come home earlier than she expected?

hopgarden1 Sat 18-Feb-17 21:12:56

Thanks all; that's reassuring to know I'm not wrong to be irritated. We didn't come home early. I've talked to her and explained it was really wrong to not do any of the kids rooms and take the car.
I will give her written warning on Monday.
I feel as if her time is up.
Thanks for the help

CookieLady Sat 18-Feb-17 21:15:49

If you feel her time is up then get rid of her. Hope you find someone much better.

user1483387154 Sat 18-Feb-17 21:22:30

I would have given her a warning if it was just about the household stuff, but sacked her instantly due to taking the car when you specifically said she could not use it.

BoffinMum Sun 19-Feb-17 10:02:07

FWIW I think you are right to let her go. Things will go downhill from here - the car trip without permission is the indication.

JoJoSM2 Mon 20-Feb-17 21:52:43

Were your expectations clearly communicated? Did she know she was meant to clean the rooms and water plants? The car situation sounds odd - if she borrows it occasionally then she wouldn't even have the keys surely? And if she has the keys because you had agreed use of te car then why would she be banned from using it for week?

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 23-Feb-17 07:48:03

Is she insured on the car. If so why say no you can't drive it if away

The bin and lack of changing beds are annoying tho did you tell her to do this stuff

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now