Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Are cm homes setup?

(10 Posts)
daisy26 Wed 28-Feb-07 17:41:07

Hi I was just wondering, do you have to a have a layout in your house, do you have to have safety blankets and obv stairgates etc, Do you have to have so much amount of toys in and for outside? Does your house like need to be safe evrywhere, and how safe?

yearoftheox Wed 28-Feb-07 18:12:46

A lot of questions to answer, but I'll try. I've lived in 3 houses with different layouts from traditional Edwardian to modern open plan, and they've all worked. The main thing is you mustn't have more children than you've room for this will be taken account of when registering.
Yes, a fire blanket is obligatory.
Basic safety requirements are - stairgates, front door children can't get out of, children can't access: chemicals/medicines/sharp knives/diy stuff, socket covers, children can't escape out of garden, fire exits kept clear, children can't fall out of windows, working smoke detectors, safety harness on highchair - I'm sure there are more.
All risks have to be identified and assessed e.g. may get rid of coffee table with sharp edges as risk to toddlers is too great, but may decide not to put finger guard on door jamb if you mind older children who have been warned not to put fingers in the gap. It's a matter of common sense and judgement often.
As for toys (the fun part!) - the children should be occupied and stimulated, this may not mean having loads of plastic toys, but most childminders will have quite a lot of stuff.

daisy26 Wed 28-Feb-07 18:34:11

I would only take a few newayz, thankyou for that, that's helped to know what info I need.House is bigger enough, but partner wants to change stuff in the house. Mean my front door has a high handle, a garden they couldn't escape from, small but reasonable, got a big house, but banisters loose at the min, and we got two bedrooms and a bathroom, got lock on it. Wud u just put stairgates where necesaary or are they suppose to be able to play newhere. I have a big dining room, so i cud just use that room for playing. Iv'e worked in many nurseries so i'd know what fun things to do. What about eating, like do u need maybe smaller tables. I got lots to ask, hehe, soz people

StrawberrySnowflakes Wed 28-Feb-07 19:33:08

childcare plus

StrawberrySnowflakes Wed 28-Feb-07 19:34:34


StrawberrySnowflakes Wed 28-Feb-07 19:35:47

these should all be helpful in explaining what you will need and first link can let you know if there is funding in your area(you prob have to ring them to find out)..good luck

daisy26 Wed 28-Feb-07 19:49:47

Thankyou for your advice and help people

yearoftheox Wed 28-Feb-07 20:25:49

Yes, a small table and chairs for eating and playing at are really, really useful - I got some very nice ones second-hand from a playgroup who were changing all theirs for different coloured newer ones - and a friend got her chairs from an infant school who were renewing theirs, so could be worth phoning round.

daisy26 Wed 28-Feb-07 20:37:03

well Iv'e got the point of what i need to get and do, if I start it up, thanks

ayla99 Thu 01-Mar-07 09:37:43

I use low tables for the little ones too. I also have a drop leaf table and fold up chairs that I use for the older children's board games/lego etc and we can fold it away when we need the floor space for other games.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: