Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Nanny for just 4.5 hours pw - PAYE advice needed

(5 Posts)
rainbox Mon 13-Feb-17 15:37:56

I've been employing a nanny for just 4.5 hours a week, at £10 an hour - so £45 per week in total. My current nanny does have other work though, so is a taxpayer.

I've been using a PAYE agency, but it's expensive relative to the cost of my nanny (between £140 and £180 per year, with the lower amount having less favourable terms and conditions).

My subscription to that is due for renewal, and I'm just wondering whether I really need to use it.

The PAYE intro on the HMRC website says ...

"You don’t need to register for PAYE if none of your employees are paid £112 or more a week, get expenses and benefits, have another job or get a pension. However, you must keep payroll records."

The nanny I have at the moment does have another job, but if I was to employ a different nanny who didn't, then would I be able to manage all this myself without too much hassle?

RentANDBills Mon 13-Feb-17 17:15:11

I think you're going to struggle to find someone who only wants to work 4.5 hours a week. It's also pretty harsh to sack your nanny so you don't have to pay an extra £2.50-£3.50 a week

Artandco Mon 13-Feb-17 17:17:20

£180 is pretty cheap no? £180 divided by 52 weeks a year

rainbox Mon 13-Feb-17 17:49:14

Rent thanks for the moral judgement but my current nanny is likely to leave soon anyway - her other job is growing, and she drops me in it every time they offer her extra hours.

It's actually pretty easy to find someone around here who wants to work 4.5 hours a week (1.5 hours, 3 mornings) because we live near a university and several sixth forms. It's a perfect part time job for a student - a regular "babysitting" slot (although my 10 year old is no baby).

JoJoSM2 Tue 14-Feb-17 00:58:07

Just give HMRC a ring yo double check.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now