Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Does anyone use a Mothers Help (Parent help) or similar?

(7 Posts)
NapQueen Sun 12-Feb-17 15:34:47

My lovely mum is a Childminder and nowt mid fifties is starting to get worn down with the paperwork / ofsted side of things. She's "old school" in that she spends all her time playing with the kids/baking with them/taking them out/reading/cuddles. Ofsted are very "step back and observe, monitor targets etc etc" and I think she's ready to step back from it all.

She's done this for the past 28 years and so has no confidence in what is next. I was explaining to her about Mothers Helpers and what that sort of thing entails and she seemed really interested.

Helping with cooking, cleaning, childcare, advice etc. All stuff shed be smashing at!

Trouble is we know no one who is one or who has one. Anyone on here have one? What sort of things do they do for you or with you? How many hours do they come to you? What sort of pay rates?

Thanks in advance!!

BackforGood Sun 12-Feb-17 22:49:03

I don't know the answers to your questions, but bet there's a real market for someone like that so am bumping for you.

Would it be worth contacting any agencies to see if they can "sell" such a service to people who contact them.
Alternatively - depending on how much she needs to earn - would signing up as a babysitter with someone like 'Sitters' (and I'm sure there are other agencies) be an idea?

WellTidy Sun 12-Feb-17 23:02:10

I have a nanny, who works four days a week. I work three days a week, so I am at home on the fourth day (this only started recently). Term time, DC are in school or pre school. So I suppose she is a irt of nanny/mothers help in that fourth day.

Day starts with her helping get DC ready for school, giving breakfast, washed, dressed etc. We sort of share this, so one of us could also be putting a wash on, unloading machine, loading dryer, starting ironing, putting clean stuff away etc.

I take DC to school, she will make beds, tidy up etc. Maybe start making something for dinner e.g. Shepherds pie, and shop for any ingredients, buy anything we are low on eg milk.

As the day goes on, we've done things together e.g. Massive sort out of toys and baby stuff, putting new batteries in, washing down things before donating them e.g. High chair, charity run trips, tip run etc.

She will change the DC bedding, wash and iron and put away all their stuff, tidy away, run the hoover over etc. She makes a packed lunch for them for the next day. She is really proactive and that is so important. I don't feel that either of us is treading on the others toes.

MrsNuckyThompson Sun 12-Feb-17 23:17:50

Where does she live?! I'd love for her to come and work for me!

The only thing I'd say is would she be comfortable not having 'sole charge'. Mothers helps tend to be unqualified and there to help the mum, not necessarily focus on the children. So there'd be more housework/cooking perhaps than she might want.

Maybe more suited to her would be a part time nanny job? Maybe an after school nanny type set up?

OutandIn Sun 12-Feb-17 23:23:28

I think a part time / part day nanny job would ideal. Why waste those skills and not get paid for them.

WellTidy Mon 13-Feb-17 08:58:05

Coming back to the thread to say that a friend of mine had a mothers help after she had her third DC. I think the mothers help worked for the whole of the school summer holiday, so maybe 7 weeks or so. My friend needed the time with her newborn but also had two other DC (both under 5) and I believe that the mothers help did pre-agreed tasks to help her stay on top of things at home (laundry, grocery shopping, very light housework - as they still had a weekly cleaner) and also entertained her other two DC which included things like taking them to classes, clubs, groups etc as well as playing with them at home.

I think it sounds like a job that would be really in demand. Especially as your mum is older, experienced, has run her own home etc, so would not need to be taught things. And also it would be great company to have someone around who is like that.

Would she consider a role with a family with a child with SN? As families of children with SN often need an extra pair of hands. There are agencies which recruit helpers, tutors, nannies, buddies etc for children , young adults and families of children with SN.

Callaird Mon 13-Feb-17 14:39:56

I think that she could probably get a job as a nanny. She's been looking after children for 28 years, that's enough experience! Get her to call local nanny agencies, check childcare.co.uk, nannyjob.co.uk and gumtree to see if there's anything in your area.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now