Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

I have been considering....

(27 Posts)
irishlass1234 Wed 08-Feb-17 20:47:51

So I am a primary teacher, and am hoping to go on maternity within the next year or thereabouts (TTC...!)

I have been wondering about doing childcare for other children, whilst on maternity, and perhaps continuing it for a few years until our child would be at school. If it seemed to be going well, I may continue to do childcare instead of going back to teaching.

What do you think, would this be a good idea, or would I be best not giving up teaching?

My thoughts are:
1) I get to look after our own child, as my wages from teaching would just go straight on our own childcare.

2) I really love working with children but the paperwork/unnecessary rubbish we have to put up with at school is putting me off.

3) school is a stable income, whereas home childcare might not be as stable.

Also, is there any way of asking whether there are childcare needs in my area, without being too outing?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thank you.

littlemissM92 Wed 08-Feb-17 21:02:15

Do you mean a childminder ? You have good points but be aware childminders also have aALOT of paperwork, policies, forms, ofsted liasing with parents etc

irishlass1234 Wed 08-Feb-17 21:28:39

Yes, a childminder. I suppose there will be paperwork, just no staff meetings/inservice days/CPD/ planning meetings/reviews.....it gets tiresome!

I just want to work with kids, and as little of the extra stuff as possible.

Thank you for replying.

Kathsmum Wed 08-Feb-17 21:31:23

They still have training, first aid, ofsted etc and it has a big impact on your house as a place of work not a home unless you have an area you can keep seperate?

irishlass1234 Wed 08-Feb-17 21:39:30

No it would be in our home. I suppose the real attraction for me is that I can make money from home whilst still looking after our children/other children.

Are there any other things I have not thought of? Do you get regular inspections,etc? Do customers pay upfront/after? I will need to keep records for tax purposes won't I?

Maryann1975 Wed 08-Feb-17 22:33:07

I imagine you have to do all the stuff a reception teacher does, but on a smaller scale (because you only have up to three children rather than a class of 30).
Childminder's get inspected at least once in each four year cycle (so I've been told), so similar to school. Where I live I also get a visit from the council childminding advisor to check how I am doing, if I need help, what I'm going well, where my gaps are,she comes at least once a year.
Parents pay me upfront generally (one family who I have had for six years is in arrears, but new families are up front).
Yes, cms have to keep records of income/outgoings for tax reasons. It's not to onerous though, as sad as it sounds I quite like doing my accounts, gives my brain a bit of a work out dealing with the numbers.
Don't underestimate how hard it is to cm alongside having your own young children though. It's hard work, but it is worth it and I can't imagine doing anything else while my children are still young (mine are all primary school age now).

littlemissM92 Thu 09-Feb-17 06:41:02

I've done it and the paperwork was main reason I stopped maybe different for u though x

HSMMaCM Thu 09-Feb-17 08:08:15

You probably wants to start the registration process now if you're going to do it.

You need to register as sell employed and do accounts. There are inspections, paperwork, parents evenings, cod, etc etc same as school, but I would say not as onerous.

You can get paid in advance or arrears, but I strongly suggest getting paid in advance, because some people would prefer not to pay.

I've been doing it 17 years. It's hard work but I love it. I only planned to do it for a couple of years and then go back to my office job.

HSMMaCM Thu 09-Feb-17 08:29:26

*cpd

irishlass1234 Thu 09-Feb-17 08:48:52

So you think it'll take that long to get set up, even if I'm not pregnant yet? I'm still TTC, but hoping to be on maternity soon.

NapQueen Thu 09-Feb-17 08:52:52

Have you considered what would happen if you only get one child to mind? Generally (not sure of your area) CMS charge about 5 quid an hour per child, so the income from one dc would be very small.

irishlass1234 Thu 09-Feb-17 08:57:11

Yes, there is that problem too! Which is why if it doesn't work out I'll go back to teaching when our children are school age.

Venusflytwat Thu 09-Feb-17 09:00:11

I reckon do it. There's always people crying out for childminders round here and if one was a qualified primary teacher you'd be so in demand. If it doesn't work out you can just jack it in.

Bigbongos123 Thu 09-Feb-17 09:06:57

I'd look into nannying with your own child. Better pay. Zero paperwork.

irishlass1234 Thu 09-Feb-17 10:39:55

Bigbongos123

That sounds like what I'm after!
Could you help my understand what that will entail? As in, how it would differ from childminding?

Do I go to another persons house to look after their child?
Or how does it work?

Fairybella Thu 09-Feb-17 10:44:48

Hi I did it!
Almost been set up a year... bloody busy ever day and love it! Lots of paper work but you can pick and chose every aspect of your job and extra training.
Your can do a course through pacey at home! What's your area... always plenty of children who need good child care...

irishlass1234 Thu 09-Feb-17 12:05:19

Is it ok to post area on here?

nannynick Thu 09-Feb-17 12:44:00

A nanny works in the home of the child/children to whom you provide care. You are employed by the parents.

Have you looked at your pension situation as a teacher? If you left teaching for a while and then went back, would you get the same pension benefit or would it be different?

irishlass1234 Thu 09-Feb-17 12:49:37

Ooohh, hadn't thought of pension! That's a good point!

If I had my own children would I be able to take them with me to care for other children in someone else's house?

wickerlampshade Thu 09-Feb-17 13:33:23

If I had my own children would I be able to take them with me to care for other children in someone else's house?

search NWOC (nanny with own child) to see lots of past threads on this
general consensus is that the nanny gets more out of it than the parent and so should expect to be paid less than going rate (about 25% less) and of course it restricts what jobs you can apply for as some parents won't want it.

thisgirlrides Thu 09-Feb-17 22:47:42

I'm a childminder of 5 years with 2 good ofsted ratings, fully booked with a waiting list and lots of very happy families past & present but do very little paperwork so it is possible and and a great job when you're own children are young. Go for it !

JoJoSM2 Fri 10-Feb-17 17:56:31

Couldn't you just be a nanny and take your own child along? Some families are open to that but tend to pay a little bit less. You would have all the rights that come with employment and a tiny pension although not a patch on Teachers' Pension. Have you considered going back part-time? E.g. 2-3 days a week? You'd have a bit of money left over after covering childcare + fab pension + keep your foot in the door in case you want to progress your career further.

Iggi999 Fri 10-Feb-17 18:05:23

I would doubt that you could undertake regular paid employment whilst on ML, when you are also in receipt of either pay or money from government. Perhaps you can, but check it out.
I do not know what Childminders earn (though I seem to pay a fair bit, but they have all the overheads etc and pensions) but as a teacher I would be very surprised if your pay was swallowed up by childcare. I sometimes did the sums hopefully to see if me being at home for a few years would be just as feasible as working, but I always make more working, even with paying two lots of childcare fees.

2014newme Fri 10-Feb-17 18:10:06

You can't work whilst on maternity leave you would have to leave teaching.
Nannies and childminders do not get 13 weeks.per year paid holiday.

CheerfulYank Fri 10-Feb-17 18:57:45

I'm in the States so the situation is totally different (can have up to 10 kids for a start!) but where I am you can find work for pretty much any situation, if you are a safe, loving, reliable carer. So if you want to work in your home or go to a home with your baby, I'm sure you can find someone who would be more than willing to do that. smile

Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now