Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Retainer vs deposit vs fee

(3 Posts)
JennaRachel Wed 08-Feb-17 16:19:29

Hi. I have just booked a childminder to start looking after my child in August. I have paid a "retainer" of 5 weeks fees which I will not get back. However, this does not actually seem to be a retainer as there is no empty space to be held for him. It seems to be more of a booking fee than an actual retainer. Is this common practice?

Tanith Wed 08-Feb-17 17:02:56

How does the childminder explain it?

Her fees and charges are for her to set and there isn't really a common practice or standard.

Doglikeafox Wed 08-Feb-17 18:23:06

That sounds fine to me. Really if a placed is not empty, she should have charged a deposit rather than a retainer but it is entirely up to her being self employed and you could have questioned it however if you did do that, she could just charge you a deposit of the exact same amount as even if she doesn't have a space open at the moment, she is not choosing to fill the space available that your child will be taking up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now