Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

CM Club - what do you think of this?

(12 Posts)
looneytune Tue 27-Feb-07 16:50:15

I've had mindee x for just over a year now and since she started needing her teeth brushing, I did them after breakfast as dropped off at 6.45am.

I started with baby sibling when 5 weeks old and due to the new addition, parents were looking at what they wanted to do long term.

Well, this week we've started new hours. They have an aupair who gives breakfast to mindee x and then brings them both to me for 8.15am. Today was the first day and I could smell that mindee x didn't appear to have teeth brushed so checked with mum and she said au pair in rush so probably wasn't done. Can I take responsibility and do after school run so she knows it gets done.

I totally understand au pair is in rush but imo, she could get them ready 5 mins earlier or something. As soon as they arrive I have to get them in the car and go on the school run then I usually go to a toddler group, feed baby bottle etc etc. I'm worried I'll forget to brush them as I used to do it when I did ds's so was a teeth brushing routine iykwim.

So, do you think it's fair for me to say that I'll try but due to my busy schedule, if I forget, I'd rather it was done prior to drop off? What do you think?

TIA

StrawberrySnowflakes Tue 27-Feb-07 16:57:30

, speak to mum, let her know you did her dd's teeth 'this time', but say could you remind au pair to make sure she has them done in future as if you go straight out onto playgroup or something, they either a-wont get done or b- get forgot about

smeeinit Tue 27-Feb-07 17:23:31

im with strawbs on this,chat to the mum and mention that your mornings are rushed also and you dont want to forget about little ones teeth as you would feel dreadfull if you got half way through the day then remembered that the poor little mite hadnt had her teeth cleaned!
blimey whats she paying the au pair for????

looneytune Tue 27-Feb-07 20:00:22

I must admit I thought isn't the teeth brushing all part of getting the kids ready in the morning .

Spoke to mum tonight and explained that I put kids straight into car when au pair pulls up, go to nursery, drive to toddler group, give baby bottle, go back to nursery bla bla bla and that I'm worried I'd forget to do them as by the time the nursery run is finished, I'm no longer in getting ready mode so may not remember to brush her teeth. Mum said she was just worried about the amount of stuff she's already getting au pair to do as she's feeding their b&b guests in the morning too etc. I fully appreciate this and said I will TRY and remember but if I don't then we need to change who does it. Mum seemed to understand but said when she forgets in the morning, she usually smells dd's breath when they've not been done and then the toothbrush comes out.

Oh, I'll see if I remember but I'm going to ask for seperate toothpaste to carry in the bag so I've always got it with me.

ThePrisoner Tue 27-Feb-07 20:06:09

(Why is the au pair having to feed b&b guests???)

princesscc Tue 27-Feb-07 20:08:45

Absolutely! If you are putting them straight in the car to school run and then straight on with playgroups etc, you cannot be expected to come back to clean teeth. Sod telling her its your busy schedule, tell her you go straight out to entertain HER children, so they'll have to have them clenaed at home. Surely the au pair finds time to clean hers, so why not the kids?

StrawberrySnowflakes Tue 27-Feb-07 20:23:21

the au pair is there to look after the children...not cook eggs and bacon for her guests!..you are too nice!

looneytune Tue 27-Feb-07 21:27:22

Sorry, Tesco delivery turned up and been busy putting that all away.

TP - I'm not sure exactly the legal side of what au pairs are supposed to do etc. but I do know that the au pair is happy with the arrangement and it was all agreed up front. It's only a couple of b&b's at a time so not a big business and maybe these duties are instead of others that other au pairs would have??? But if the duties are not what she should be doing then maybe that's why she didn't give the extra job of teeth cleaning? IMO, if au pair is sorting kids out in morning then they should be dressed, washed/wiped, teeth cleaned etc!

Princesscc - I know I shouldn't need to go into my busy schedule to explain myself but I wanted to remind her that it's not as simple as just brushing them after the school. And yes, I am out and about entertaining her children

Strawberrysnowflakes - yes, I am too nice and soft, I hate these situations where I know what I'm asked is beyond what I should be doing but I always end up feeling bad and wanting to help.

Note to myself - Must get tougher, must get tougher!!!!

ThePrisoner Tue 27-Feb-07 21:32:04

looney - just an aside ... you don't own a dirty, great truck do you? I saw one today with "Looneytune" painted across the front of it!!! The bloke driving it looked dead 'ard!

looneytune Tue 27-Feb-07 21:41:29

PSML at that TP, no, I don't have a great big truck but I do now have my 7 seater

How are you anyway? I've so missed mumsnet all these months and am dead chuffed to be back regularly now!

ThePrisoner Tue 27-Feb-07 21:54:13

Phew ... thought you might have been one of those truckers Mumsnet is famous for!

I'm doing good! Are you going to read through all the threads you've missed?!

looneytune Tue 27-Feb-07 21:58:59

hehe, no i'm not a trucker!

I don't think I'll get to read all the threads, there's been LOADS I've missed and I just don't have the time. Trying to scan through and pick ones I want to look at!

I can't believe how many new CM's have suddenly appeared on here!!! Has there been an advert somewhere directing CM's to Mumsnet???

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now