Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Overnight rate for nanny (toddler who may wake)

(6 Posts)
AuntiePenguin Tue 07-Feb-17 19:01:25

Our nanny is going to stay overnight with our toddler for a few nights.

He sometimes sleeps through, usually wakes once (but just needs a cuddle and will go back to sleep), sometimes wakes a couple of times or wakes and is awake for an hour or so struggling to go back to sleep. So it's unpredictable how much work staying over is actually going to involve!

What's a fair way to pay her? Should I pay more than usual rate as it's overnight? Or less as she'll mainly be sleeping? Or the same as normal?

Thanks

Dannygirl Tue 07-Feb-17 21:42:01

When our nanny stayed overnight once we agreed to pay her normal rate until around 10/11pm I think (as if babysitting) and then a flat rate of around £50/60 until 7am when her normal rate kicked in again. Wasn't expecting wake ups though! Not sure if that changes anything....

nannynick Tue 07-Feb-17 21:50:44

Having a fixed rate for say 11pm-6m is a good idea. You could agree a figure based on one quick wake during that time. Then perhaps have a extra bit tagged on for if things go badly, such as an extra £5 for any hour in which there is a wake up, could get costly if toddler work up lots.

NuffSaidSam Wed 08-Feb-17 00:54:03

I charge one flat fee (£50) for an overnight where the children sleep through in their own beds.

I charge my normal hourly rate where the child(ren) don't reliably sleep through and/or I need to co-sleep with them.

If I were your nanny and you were generally good to me, then I would probably offer to only charge for the waking hours, so £50 overnight + hourly rate for each hour I'm woken up. Hopefully, that would work out cheaper for you.

AuntiePenguin Wed 08-Feb-17 19:33:39

Thanks everybody. Have spoken to nanny today and agreed a flat fee plus additional fee for wake ups - I trust her to be honest about if/when he woke up for! Really helpful to hear from others as had no idea what's normal.

eastmidswarwicknightnanny Sun 12-Feb-17 13:22:42

I would charge hrly rate for full 24hrs if wake ups potential as I wouldn't sleep properly ii would on!y doze as could wake at anytime or multiple times.

Hope you enjoy a few nights child free ☺

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: