Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

What's the lastest- swapping childcare with friends?

(17 Posts)
Josieannathe2nd Wed 01-Feb-17 17:40:02

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2010/744/article/2/made

It's been a while since I looked into this. Does the above link mean that. can swap childcare with a friend as long as no cash is involved?

And would I need to look after she'd children in her house & she look after mine at my house?

And out of interest- would the provision of goods include food? E.g is the share of childcare wasn't equal one month could I buy her food to make up the difference?

Any guidance much appreciated!

nannynick Wed 01-Feb-17 19:14:19

No money, no goods.
As soon as you start getting in to an arrangement of 'You look after my child and I buy your weeks shopping' then it becomes reward in my view.

nannynick Wed 01-Feb-17 19:25:25

In terms of goods: if you say they can borrow your lawn mover in exchange for caring for your child for a few hours, that I feel would be ok.
The problem is when it becomes Money Worth, which is when the goods or service has a defined value... so buying £10 of shopping for each hour of childcare provided I feel would be seen as Money Worth.

End of the day who will know, would anyone complain? Swap childcare for childcare and you should be fine.

Doglikeafox Wed 01-Feb-17 19:37:44

According to an article I read about 3 months ago, it cannot be any reward, regardless of what that is.
You cannot even offer childcare in return for childcare if it is in your own home apparently, two women were penalised for it.
It is legal to look after each other's children in the child's home.
I am UK based.

GooseFriend Wed 01-Feb-17 19:39:00

It's set out in annex a of this document. www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/551134/EY_and_childcare_reg_handbook.pdf

Basically if they're over 8 you're ok, if it's less than two hours your ok. A regular reciprocal arrangement would be seen as a reward. See the case of the two police women.

GooseFriend Wed 01-Feb-17 19:40:06

This is helpful too www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.netmums.com/life/childcare-swaps-the-rules.amp?client=safari

GooseFriend Wed 01-Feb-17 19:40:49

If your related your ok too. Hth

Josieannathe2nd Wed 01-Feb-17 20:05:56

Thanks all. That's useful. Essentially on the Ofstead doc lists those excluded from registering. Point 8 about payment and good still confuses me- is it saying that if you care for a child in their own home for 3 hours a day or under you can pay them?!!

Alternatively could we both be nannies? They don't have to register and we can both look after the children in their own homes? I feel like I'm missing something here?!

HelenDenver Wed 01-Feb-17 20:08:26

Thought the law was changed post the police women case..,

HelenDenver Wed 01-Feb-17 20:09:03

If you were both nannies, you'd both be nanny employers, paying NI and PAYE.

Josieannathe2nd Wed 01-Feb-17 20:10:01

And this bit on net mums doesn't make sense...

You may be breaking the law if you:

care for someone else's child who is under 8 years old for more than two hours a day in their own home or someone else's home (not the child's own home)

So if it's the child's home it first says it's not ok them it is?

Josieannathe2nd Wed 01-Feb-17 20:13:29

Ah, you're right Helen, that would be a lot of admin and a bit ridiculous! Although I have employed a Nanny before so can do all the payroll stuff if that's what we need to do, not to break the law.

HelenDenver Wed 01-Feb-17 20:16:35

But the government would take a fair bit of money off you both then. Which you might be fine with!

Josieannathe2nd Wed 01-Feb-17 20:25:27

The law had been changed-

www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2010/744/memorandum/contents

Is the explanation of the ammendment and it specifically says in 4.4 That looking after friends children in return for goods or services which include reciprocal childcare is excluded from having to be registered so fine to do. It says payment that is like money including store vouchers is not exempt. So my idea of paying for shoppis not ok, but direct swaps of childcare is.

Josieannathe2nd Wed 01-Feb-17 20:26:15

Sorry posted too soon-in summary- paying for shopping not OK, reciprocal childcare if OK.

nannynick Wed 01-Feb-17 20:51:45

Yes, that would be my take on it - swapping care fine, you having them care for your child in exchange for shopping is pushing it too much. The shopping is quantifiable in Money terms.

HSMMaCM Wed 01-Feb-17 21:09:12

You have their child 2 days and they have your child 2 days, or something equivalent is now fine. Not much else though. Although how anyone will know you paid for their shopping is beyond me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now