Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

nanny sick days help with contract

(12 Posts)
Chloris33 Tue 31-Jan-17 11:48:24

Just planning nanny contract for first time. I was presuming to offer full pay for sick days. However, I've discovered some friends don't pay for nanny's sick days, or some offer half pay. What is the norm? Obvs want to be a decent employer. Thanks.

2014newme Tue 31-Jan-17 11:51:05

If nanny was off sick how will you cover that? Presumably by paying someone else. So you ate paying two people.
How much sick pay would you be prepared to give? A day, a week, a month, six months?

Chloris33 Tue 31-Jan-17 11:55:55

Good point, I've just read SSP guide, and realise I was a bit clueless. So, I guess the answer is I think I am prepared to offer full pay for occasional sick days, but for long periods it would have to be a different arrangement.

2014newme Tue 31-Jan-17 11:58:16

I wouldn't offer paid sick but obviously at your discretion you can still choose to pay her if you want to.
You don't want to be contractually obligated to pay her.
Call me mean if you want

Yerazig Tue 31-Jan-17 12:35:42

I've always had ssp in my contract which is pretty standard. But in all my nanny jobs I may have only taken the odd day here and there as a sick day, so as I've never taken advantage I've always in return been paid in full still when I've taken the odd day as sick.

underneaththeash Tue 31-Jan-17 13:40:35

I would really recommend putting SSP only into a contract.

You can then decide if you want to pay for the occasional sick day. Amount people I know with nannies, there does seem to be a positive correlation between those who have full pay for sick days and them actually being off sick.

LightTripper Tue 31-Jan-17 13:54:03

I just have SSP in my contract with my nanny - but in practice I've always paid her in full for sick days as she is very good and doesn't take many. As others have said, the contract is just the minimum you have to do - there is nothing to stop you doing more in practice.

nannynick Tue 31-Jan-17 14:08:46

SSP only in the contract. You are then free to pay in full on occasion if you feel they deserve that.

TheClacksAreDown Tue 31-Jan-17 17:58:43

Ssp in our contract. Our nanny has only had a few sick days and I've always paid in full but that is at our discretion.

Callaird Tue 31-Jan-17 18:12:12

Most nannies have SSP in their contract. Most employers pay full pay if the nanny doesn't take the piss.

My contract says 2 weeks full pay and then SSP but I have an exemplary sickness record. 11 days in 30 years! I don't take the piss. I have an upper respiratory tract infection and am antibiotics, I'm at work but I am taking it easy, charge is reading me Mr Man books from the pictures, we have watched the fireman Sam movie and he had a carpet picnic tea! I'm not worried about giving it to him as he had it first!

holepunchkid Tue 31-Jan-17 18:27:36

SSP in contract and be generous at your discretion. This board is full of stories about nannies taking the piss with sick leave (though clearly most dont)

livsmommy Fri 03-Feb-17 18:34:56

I always have 5 days full pay for sickness in my contract, and then SSP.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now