Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Nooooooo it can't be true! Best nanny in the whole world has resigned...now what?

(27 Posts)
jura Sun 25-Feb-07 23:01:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

edam Sun 25-Feb-07 23:04:33

Jura, I was in a similar situation just before Christmas. Dreaded telling ds as he adores his nanny and talks about how much he loves her and how she's his best friend. But you know what? He's been fine. Very happy with new childminder and nursery school. He does miss nanny - still talks about her - but he's very happy where he is. Luckily we are still in touch with her so she still comes round to babysit/covered half term for me, which probably helps.

thelittleElf Sun 25-Feb-07 23:07:55

Oh goodness, you must feel in a real turmoil right now? Can i ask whereabouts in the country you are? There are a number of great agencies out there, who could offer you some great advice
I imagine this has been a hard decision for your nanny . Leaving a family is so tough

MrsJohnCusack Sun 25-Feb-07 23:09:40

jura - no advice as I know nothing, but lots of sympathy. It's obvious how much you all loved your nanny

Soapbox Sun 25-Feb-07 23:14:58

Oh no Jura it is just the pits isn' it!

I did have a flexible arrangement in place with the nanny before this one - but it really didn't work terribly well. I've gone back to employing an almost full time nanny (4 days a week) and just paying through the nose for someone to do a bit of child related tidying up while the Dcs are at school!

She does do other bits and pieces, family washing, bit of general tidying but nothing too noticeable, and certainly not enough to ditch the cleaner or the ironing lady!

I've just reconciled myself to bearing the cost in order to have the reassurance that someone is close by should they become ill at school or can cover the odd day of light illness in the DCs, as well as the holidays of course

I'm in and out of the office all week, but should be able to fit in a coffee/lunch if you want to chat in RL. Or certainly available for some telephone sympathy, if you'd prefer

jura Sun 25-Feb-07 23:17:55

thelittleElf Sun 25-Feb-07 23:20:12

Have you heard of Burlington Nannies? Try them, i'm sure they can help

jura Sun 25-Feb-07 23:22:33

thelittleElf Sun 25-Feb-07 23:25:15

http://www.burlingtonnannies.com/

Take a look, and it may pay you to give Natasha a call

jura Sun 25-Feb-07 23:30:54

Millarkie Sun 25-Feb-07 23:46:36

Commiserations Jura

I've only had time to read the OP, but wanted to say that I have recently advertised for a nanny to work afternoons only during termtime and full days during school hols and i have had quite a few applicants - of which 2 seem very good prospects. One wants to study in the mornings, and the other has her own baby and so would like to spend time with him (and I'm happy with him coming to work with her)....and this is for a job out of London - not nanny central!

If you could find someone who wants full-time work til sept then wants to do part-time studying it could work out (assuming they were also a great nanny )

jura Sun 25-Feb-07 23:55:19

paros Mon 26-Feb-07 00:36:57

Could your old nanny do the Summer holidays as when you said nursery teaching wont that be term time only . Can you get a temp child minder for now till Sept .

jura Mon 26-Feb-07 01:34:33

Eleusis Mon 26-Feb-07 08:23:59

Oh no, Jura!

Have you thought about an au pair / childminder combination? You could get the au pair to get them ready and off to childminder/school in the morning, then pick them up and do tea time (or possibly the childminder would do tea time for DS). That way if the ua pair up and leaves you fo whatever reason, you would still have the childminder and wouldn't be such a traumatic transition for DS in future.

There are some benefits here. Au pairs do some things nannies don't, like your laundry. And, you could skip the whole agency fee / extortionate tax thing. (oh, I might even be a tad jealous come to thing of it)

We are due to hunt for a new nanny to begin in July. And I keep dreaming about getting an au pair / childminder / nursery combination. But, realistiacally I think DS needs to be about a year older and DD needs to be in school full time for this to be financially attractive.

Good luck!

PS Did DD2 get in then? I've been wondering and haven't seen any news on here.

balancingact Mon 26-Feb-07 08:31:56

Oh jura, am so sorry! You have been so kind and helpful when i was going through my search...best of luck and lots of hugs!

balancingact Mon 26-Feb-07 08:37:10

BTW, if you are going down nanny route, peekaboo childcare was good in getting me a lot of CVs to look at straight away (my contact there sara rahmani was working during weekends etc) - and most were suitable so it was for me to narrow it down to the "feel" factor. i only asked peekaboo right in the end and ended up hiring our current nanny (who is lovely) from them. she also gave me a discount to the fees so they are not set in stone.
the other one i found useful was little ones nanny agency.
sorry no experience of aupairs/childminders but i have learnt here that uwila is font of all knowledge relating to childcare so am sure it's worth considering!

geekgrrl Mon 26-Feb-07 08:42:19

jura - I have a friend currently staying with me who is looking for a live-in nanny position until September (she'll be starting a PGCE then).
She's really lovely and sensible, 31, a speech therapist with an MA in education and my children just adore her. She's from Germany (we've been friends since we were 10) and is looking to do nannying to give her something to do in the UK until she starts her PGCE. She's got plenty of childcare experience and has done nannying before. CAT me if you're interested!

MrsWobble Mon 26-Feb-07 09:04:12

I think we have something similar to what you are looking for. We get the children to school (dd1 gets the bus on her own and dd2/3 are walked half way so across the roads). Our nanny starts at 1pm and then works until 7pm when one of us gets home. She does laundry, tidying, unloading shopping, meal prep etc before collecting dd2/3 at 3.30 and then it's the usual after school routine.

In the holidays/inset days/sickness etc she comes in earlier (and we pay more pro rata).

It works because she has a pre-school child of her own so gets the morning with them. We pay slightly above market (I think) on an hourly basis but it's still cheaper than a full time nanny and gets us the flexibility we want.

We found her through Tinies - who were extremely helpful although I guess it depends on your local franchise.

After several years of live in nannies we are all really enjoying having the house back to just us - more than I anticipated.

I always find it horribly stressful sorting childcare - you have my synpathy.

jura Mon 26-Feb-07 09:37:01

Eleusis Mon 26-Feb-07 09:38:44

Did you say the "a" word?

Enid Mon 26-Feb-07 09:39:01

so is your dd1 supposed to take care of ds after school?

Bink Mon 26-Feb-07 10:08:14

jura - with your agency recommendation (kiwioz) we found a nanny who does the flexible hours you'd be looking for. She does 2.30 - 7/7.30 (we hardly ever keep her till 7.30 - that's a longstop in case of emergencies) in termtime, and full time in holidays and any ad hoc sickness/emergency days. She's live-out. Kiwioz seemed to have lots of people ready to consider that kind of job, and we were all set within a couple of weeks. Gumtree didn't produce anyone remotely comparable in terms of experience, maturity, etc.

We pay her what is a very "full" rate for the part-time weeks, and bump it up a bit for any fulltime days - the bump-up isn't big, because the part-time rate already includes a "retainer" element. So she has enough to live on, plus lots of time to do other things.

It works in that she's lovely, and the children love her, and it all runs smoothly - however I do think with that arrangement we are perhaps more vulnerable to poaching than we might be if we had a live-in person, or were employing (and paying for, year-round) full-time. I am thinking about this because our nanny's friend - who was doing full-time, on a fat salary - has just gone back home on short notice, leaving the other family in the lurch and I am a bit anxious that our nanny is being Approached.

Lots of commiserations on losing your lovely nanny - but really I think you will not have difficulty in finding a replacement. CAT me if you want to discuss anything in more detail!

jura Mon 26-Feb-07 10:57:58

jura Mon 26-Feb-07 10:59:57

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now