Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

9 year old eating

(5 Posts)
ValB67 Tue 24-Jan-17 19:35:18

Hi, I'm new here & hope I can get some help.

My 9 yr old boy won't eat any veg or any meat, other than chicken nuggets.

He's not interested in food at all & rejects everything, other than pizza, nuggets, chips & hot dogs. I've tried the 'tough love' approach & it doesn't work so if I don't want him to starve, I have to feed him what he'll eat.

Do I go doc?

Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

Doolallylally Tue 24-Jan-17 19:43:23

At nine he's old enough to understand the basics of nutrition and the importance of a good diet.
There are quite a few books available to encourage children to eat a better diet. The other thing to do is get him to help shop, prepare and cook the food. Children generally love cooking, especially if they are getting attention from their parent.

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 24-Jan-17 19:50:32

We got our lad this cookbook after a recommendation on here and did a couple of recipes with him. It has helped. When he was 4 he would eat perhaps one or two things, now he'll eat virtually anything.

Can't put it all down to the book though, I think having school dinners has helped.

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 24-Jan-17 19:53:44

Oh and one thing we did with both our DC was to put something they would eat with something they may not like. You know he'll eat nuggets and chips so put a bit of carrot and some with them. Ignore any complaints, don't let him remove anything from his plate, unless he eats it of course but tell him he doesn't have to eat it. Once they realise there's no pressure and complaints are ignored they usually have a sneaky taste smile

Starlight2345 Tue 24-Jan-17 19:57:03

Has he always been like this? Has something triggered it or it got gradually worse?

What does he do for school lunch? Does he have any other issues or just food?

All this said yes if my 9 year old would eat only that I would seek medical advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now