Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Teenage au pair looking after child with aspergers.

(6 Posts)
bevelino Mon 23-Jan-17 22:17:27

Dd is working as an au pair in Spain and has settled well and the family are lovely. One of the children she looks after has aspergers and exhibits very challenging behavior. Dd said the the family did not mention anything about their child before she joined them. Dd will see through her contract because the family are very good towards her and she can see that they are doing their best. Do you think they should have let her know about the aspergers beforehand?

Cakescakescakes Mon 23-Jan-17 22:17:57

Absolutely they should have.

Cakescakescakes Mon 23-Jan-17 22:18:43

Should add I have a child with ASD myself.

Amandahugandkisses Mon 23-Jan-17 22:18:55

Yes they should have!

Sweets101 Mon 23-Jan-17 22:19:41

They should have discussed any challenging behavior and specific needs before hand. For their own childs sake as much as yours

bevelino Mon 23-Jan-17 22:34:30

Thank you for all your replies. Dd is coping but is drained every day . Luckily she is quite strong and is committed to the family but is obviously not used to looking after a child with aspergers. Dh and I were not planning on seeing her for a while but will be spending a long weekend in Spain next week to enable her to have a break with us. The family are lovely and have made her feel welcome in their home and she is very grateful for that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now