Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Au Pair has wrecked her bathroom WWYD

(76 Posts)
Pigsinablanket Mon 23-Jan-17 20:30:52

My 26 year old Au pair has her boyfriend staying this week. Somehow the heavy double sink unit in her en suite has come off the wall.
She told me this afternoon, showed me the damage and said she was leaning on it last night whilst brushing her teeth and it "fell off the wall".
She was sitting her English exam this evening so I didn't discuss it further. The brackets attaching the unit to the wall are completely bent out of shape and the only way I can see this happening is if excessive weight has been put on the unit .
She didn't mention it to my husband when she saw him this morning before he was leaving for work, which makes me suspect they were going to try and fix it and not say a word.
She is leaving at the end of February anyway.
Should I ask her to pay for the damage ?
I am more upset at the fact that I think she has lied to me about how it happened and would it be an overreaction if I asked her to leave sooner than planned .?

Surreyblah Mon 23-Jan-17 20:33:53

Is your suspicion that they were shagging on it?!

It would be OTT to send her home early IMO, and hard to fine her. Think would chalk it up to experience!

Beebeeeight Mon 23-Jan-17 20:34:27

I'd ask her to pay towards the repair cost.

putputput Mon 23-Jan-17 20:39:04

You don't have proof that she's broken it though.

EggnogChai Mon 23-Jan-17 20:40:16

How would you feel if this happened to you at work? You have no proof that she is lying.

JustSpeakSense Mon 23-Jan-17 20:40:37

If I broke the basin shagging on it, I'd probably lie about it too blush

Pigsinablanket Mon 23-Jan-17 20:41:16

Yes.
I think it would take the weight of at least one person to pull it off the wall ...I think if she d held her hands up and admitted they were mucking about and they damaged the unit I wouldn't feel so cross about the whole thing. I'm annoyed that she thinks she's fooling me about how it happened and that she hasn't apologised or offered to help towards the cost of repairing it.

Eevee77 Mon 23-Jan-17 20:42:26

They were totally having sex.
You're paying her - so do you think she can afford to pay towards the damage? It's a hard one.

Crispbutty Mon 23-Jan-17 20:42:51

oh come on! You don't expect the poor girl to admit to you that she was shagging on it do you? 😂

JustSpeakSense Mon 23-Jan-17 20:43:10

I think 'wrecked her bathroom' is perhaps a bit of an exaggeration though.

Is the sink unit actually broken or does it simply need to be fixed to the wall with new brackets?

TheCustomaryMethod Mon 23-Jan-17 20:43:57

Was the unit fairly new, OP?

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Mon 23-Jan-17 20:45:03

She's hardly likely to go into detail if they were shagging on it.

I would ask her to pay towards the cost. I also wouldn't go out of my way to let her use my bathroom. She had her own, she broke it so she has to wait for everyone else (assuming your house is as busy as mine).

I sympathise. My au pair didn't break the shower. Or the washing machine. Or leave the door unlocked. Twice. hmm

NerrSnerr Mon 23-Jan-17 20:46:09

What does it need doing to it? How much will it cost? I wouldn't admit to shagging on it either to be honest.

Pigsinablanket Mon 23-Jan-17 20:51:55

bathroom is 2 years old
Justspeak bathroom isn't wrecked but is unusable until I can get someone in to fix it . It took 2 men to fit the unit originally but yes It could have been worse I suppose.
I'm not expecting a blow by blow account of how it happened btw just some acknowledgement that the fault was theirs.

JerryFerry Mon 23-Jan-17 20:53:18

Hmmm I had someone here who broke the toilet (standing on it), the shower (god knows how) and generally caused mayhem.

I made him clean up, and source and pay for replacements.

In your situation though I'd probably suck it up unless she's in the habit of breaking things. I know you're annoyed but she's going soon. In the big picture it's worth keeping drama to a minimum.

thatdearoctopus Mon 23-Jan-17 20:59:44

Shagging or not, there is no way that a sink unit would come off the bloody wall under normal usage.
I would ask her to explain exactly how it happened. You could always come from the angle of taking the bathroom fitters to task and that you therefore need to be sure of your facts.

Doglikeafox Mon 23-Jan-17 21:00:32

Oh my goodness! Do you really think she's having a right good laugh behind your back because she thinks you don't know about her night of passion?
Would you really like her to have come and told you that?
She admitted to you that she broke it, and that it was an accident. That is all you need to know!
Unless she makes a habit of being careless and breaking your things I think it would be very unkind to charge her for it or send it home. She is an au pair, so earning very little anyway and would probably really struggle to replace it. You also have absolutely no proof at all that her version of events is untrue, and would sound absolutely batty to try and accuse her of shagging on your sink totally unfounded.

WinnieFosterTether Mon 23-Jan-17 21:01:20

If strangers on the internet can tell it probably involved shagging then so can you, and you don't really deserve that level of detail. She told you she was leaning on it. That's her big admission of guilt.
Since she's leaving soon, I wouldn't make her pay for it.

ClaryIsTheBest Mon 23-Jan-17 21:01:49

I once broke a toilet.

I was maybe 11 and of average weight for an 11 yo girl (although stuffed with Christmas food, but still...).

I remember sitting on it with a slightly weird angle, hearing some sort of crunch and yeah...

I might have plopped down a bit heavier than normal (although I honestly don't think I did!). But I was an averagely sized kid and wasn't doing anything weird. At all.

So yeah. Accidents do happen...

JustSpeakSense Mon 23-Jan-17 21:02:19

Yes I suppose if she had said 'I'm
So sorry I was careless and lent too heavily on the sink and it came off the wall, I am sorry I damaged your property. Can I pay for it to be repaired?' You would have overlooked exactly how it happened, but her attitude is making the 'lie' more annoying.

littleoysterslittleoysters Mon 23-Jan-17 21:04:11

I'd just explain that it was obvious they were shagging on it and you are disappointed she obviously lied. I probably wouldn't make her pay though. Although I'd be secretly jealous of the sink bonking escapade...

QueenMortificado Mon 23-Jan-17 21:06:53

I completely skim-read the OP and read you saying she broke it, and then she and your husband were hoping to fix it, then lots of posters writing "they were totally shagging"

grin

Thankfully she has a boyfriend and you don't have bigger issues!

Sugarpiehoneyeye Mon 23-Jan-17 21:07:19

Yes, the bathroom is relatively new, she should be asked to contribute.
Of course, you don't need to know the ins and outs, I shouldn't imagine that you would want to. She has damaged your property OP.

redcaryellowcar Mon 23-Jan-17 21:07:19

I think you have to just go with it, how it happened doesn't change the outcome, it's not really relevant to her role, if she's an adult and want supposed to be actively looking after your dc then it's just a shame it's broken? Move on, get it repaired and if (as I assume will be the situation) she's been a good au pair so far, it would be a shame to end on a bitter note when it's probably fairly obvious to you and her what actually happened!?

RogueStar01 Mon 23-Jan-17 21:09:27

i would let it go, i'd be hacked off, but she's leaving anyway. When people stay in your house things can always get broken, I've had babysitters break several things.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now