Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Childminder - Questions to ask

(8 Posts)
Scrumptiousbears Mon 23-Jan-17 09:46:47

I am visiting a childminder tomorrow for my 2.5 year old and 9 mth old as I'm going back to work full time soon.

It's my first visit and I don't have many to view as the days and times I need are really random due to shift work so I'm having problems finding anyone who can accommodate.

Do any of you have any advice with regards to the questions I should be asking?

Maryann1975 Mon 23-Jan-17 12:34:31

Why kind of activities the cm will do with your children, does she take them to local groups and how much time do the children spend outside in an average week? Will she provide food or do you need to send food? What kind of food is it, i.e. A home cooked dinner or a sandwich. Who is expected to pay for extra outings? What else you have to provide, car seats, nappies, wipes, spare clothes.
How much holiday does she have a year, how much notice does she give for this. Do you have to pay for her holiday, your holidays, neither or both. Does she have any childminder Friends who can possibly help if she has to take an unexpected day off, if for example her or one of her own children is sick?
Can you see her policies, ofsted certificate, insurance certificate and first aid qualification.
Have a quick look round any areas of the house she uses for work. Does she have pets, do children have access to the pets?
If I think of anything else, I will come back. (I'm a cm by the way).

Maryann1975 Mon 23-Jan-17 12:39:29

Also, how does she structure her day, how many school runs a day she does, if she does them by car, on foot or by public transport. Check she has business use, if she is using the car.

smileyhappypeople Mon 23-Jan-17 12:40:59

All of the above but first I'd say have a nice chat.
All the questions pp have listed are obviously important but getting to know the childminder and finding someone you 'click' with is much more important in my opinion. If you fire lots of questions at her you might not get to know her or like her when really she is perfect for you. Or the opposite where she answers all the questions how you want but then turns out to not be actually what you want.
If you like her you can always ask for a second meeting or an email to get all that info.

Scrumptiousbears Tue 24-Jan-17 00:22:56

Thank you for your replies.

My oldest only ever went to my mum or a day a week at a private nursery. With two I need more help so it's a childminder. I'm more nervous giving my girls to one person (if that makes sense). I hope I like her. It's a big thing giving your girls to a stranger

RTKangaMummy Tue 24-Jan-17 00:55:11

Can you chat to other parents who she still has mindees from or just left mindees?

RTKangaMummy Tue 24-Jan-17 00:56:00

Does she have photos of the children doing things?

RTKangaMummy Tue 24-Jan-17 23:40:47

How was the visit?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now