Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Casual nanny - do I pay for days off sick?

(14 Posts)
SittingBull Sat 24-Feb-07 04:22:57

Message withdrawn

SittingBull Sat 24-Feb-07 06:24:27

Message withdrawn

Earlybird Sat 24-Feb-07 07:07:53

Hmm - no idea.

Would it be a reasonable idea to get her to 'make up' the missed hours/wages when she's well? Maybe do a spot of evening babysitting?

SittingBull Sat 24-Feb-07 16:19:23

Message withdrawn

Eleusis Sat 24-Feb-07 18:50:39

$20 per hour?!?! Do you llive somewhere on Earth?

We share our live in nanny two days a week and the other family pays her £6 per hour, and only when she is there. If the other family is on holiday our nanny doesn't work for them and doesn't get paid. This week my DD has chicken pox so can't really take her out on the bus to the other family (actually I think she could, but nanny has chosen not to) so she won't get anything from other family.

Judy1234 Sat 24-Feb-07 18:55:13

No, don't pay. Which country is this in by the way? In the UK the first question is whether she is an employee and yo upay her tax etc or not. I think you didn't intend she woudl be even though legally she may well be. In that case don't pay. Even if she is employed unless you agree ohterwise you don't have to pay for the first 3 days off sick and then after that period statutory sick pay is paid.

SittingBull Sat 24-Feb-07 20:40:56

Message withdrawn

Judy1234 Sun 25-Feb-07 09:10:19

I think tax evasion on "employee" wages is more prevalent in the US than the UK and the tax rules WILL differ anyway. You need a US web site to tell you the answers on this. A lot of US employees are hired "at will" and can be fired at will (no unfair dismissal etc) but laws differ from state to state as well. I imagine those contracts need to be drawn up in writing.

Eleusis Sun 25-Feb-07 09:23:08

Have you tried looking for a nanany on gretaupair.com There are lots of people who would work for a lot less that $20 per hour.

I can't believe you can't get someone for less than that. I am American, but have been in the UK since before having kids so I don't really have any experience of having hired a nanny in the US. But $20 (is this net??) is outrageous. And surely you are not the first nor the last to pay cash in hand.

You might start by asking a nanny agency in california about the employment law and going rate. (the agency will no doubt inflate the going rate so keep inmind that the real going rate is probably less than whatever they say)

SittingBull Mon 26-Feb-07 05:20:25

Message withdrawn

mamama Mon 26-Feb-07 05:27:22

That's doesn't sound extortionate to me - I'm in the midwest and get $10 - 12 per hour for childminding in my own home, with DS here. That's the going rate in my neighbourhood. Childcare in the US costs a lot.

As for paying when she is sick, I'd say not, unless you have an agreement or feel particularly strongly about it.

SittingBull Mon 26-Feb-07 05:48:29

Message withdrawn

eidsvold Mon 26-Feb-07 07:22:54

I would talk it over with her and say as she did not do the work you feel you cannot pay her as this is a casual basis. Then suggest what someone else said - could she do an extra day one week when you might need her or a night stint of 5 hours that way if she is reliant on the money - she can recoup that way and perhaps then make it a standing consequence - she is ill - she can make time up another time iyswim then you do not have to worry again.

eidsvold Mon 26-Feb-07 07:23:38

hey here in Aus depending on the nanny's experience, length of time you want etc - you are looking at pay up to $32 an hour!!!! That is the casual rate.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now