Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Calling all childminders for advice...

(14 Posts)
Laurenypops Fri 23-Feb-07 21:51:12

Are there any ofsted guidelines with refernce to smoking? My dd had recently started with a childminder who was recommended to me, and for some reason I never considered she would smoke, and now somebody tells me she does. I wondered whether this is just her personal business, or do I have a right to query her about it. If I had known before, I may not have started dd with her, but I do like her and her methods, and despite being heartbroken about leaving dd with anyone, felt happy with my choice - until now!

Any suggestions?

Katymac Fri 23-Feb-07 21:52:27

I understood that it was illegal to smoke in front of minded children - however I might be corrected

FeelingOld Fri 23-Feb-07 22:05:38

I only know of 1 childminder who smokes and she has a 'smoking policy' which is something like not smoking whilst mindees are there, keeping the rooms she uses for childminding smoke free at all times (she only smokes outdoors) etc.

Your CM should never smoke near mindees (like katymac, I thought it was completely against the rules anyway) but I am sure if you ask her what her policy on smoking is she will tell you and you can then decide what to do.

AskABusyPerson Fri 23-Feb-07 22:06:34

Surestart's Standards for daycare and childminding, which have to be adhered to and are what Ofsted inspect on (amongst other things) states 'The childminder and others in the childminder's home do not smoke in the presence of children at anytime.'

Hope this helps - did your childminder have a set of policies; although it's up to her whether she smokes or not perhaps she should have stated it in her policies but assured prospective parents that she would never do so when minded children are in her care?

Laurenypops Fri 23-Feb-07 22:11:47

Thanks all for your quick and helpful responses. I think that's it Busyperson, I just feel that she should have mentioned it honestly. I will ask her about it next week, and take it from there.

ThePrisoner Fri 23-Feb-07 22:51:27

Assuming that she doesn't smoke whilst your children are present (which she is not supposed to do anyway), you also have to consider how you would feel if you knew that she smokes in the house when not minding.

My asthma plays up if I've been somewhere where someone smokes, even if I can't smell anything.

Laurenypops Sat 24-Feb-07 10:10:58

My exact worry Prisoner. I was so relieved to have found an alternative to nursery - which I was dreading that - that I overlooked what are now obvious questions. Thanks for your input.

charmedhay Sun 25-Feb-07 10:08:12

silly question what about if she smokes whilst outside with children is this allowed ?? [just being nosy i'm ex smoker and very anti]

ThePrisoner Mon 26-Feb-07 00:02:36

Childminders are not allowed to smoke whilst children present, either with them inside the house or outside with minder.

StrawberrySnowflakes Mon 26-Feb-07 12:54:04

so really a smoker, prob couldnt 'do' that ther wise they maya s well give smoking up, cos if they have mindees all day that means no smoking all day too???

daisy26 Wed 28-Feb-07 16:54:16

Hi I was just wondering in your house to become a cm, do you need certain things for safety, such as fire blankets etc. I know you can get a grant for stuff. Just wondering also do you have to have loadsa toys, obv need stairgates. How is cm house set out, isit just a normal house?

StrawberrySnowflakes Wed 28-Feb-07 17:13:44

daisy26, start a thread ref those questions, no one will see what your asking on here cos the title is relating to something else..also state where you are as certain areas offer funding, try C.I.S

daisy26 Wed 28-Feb-07 17:41:41

cheers yeh done it now

daisy26 Wed 28-Feb-07 17:59:06

what's c.i.s?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now