Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Pay more for nanny share?

(5 Posts)
SuspendedInGaffaTape Mon 16-Jan-17 20:48:07

We have a nanny that looks after our children in our house, one child at school and two at home. When my middle child starts school in September we are exploring the possibility of having the nanny look after another child (friends family) just during the school hours. So she has the same amount of children (three, plus her own one) at all times but not all mine. If she does this she will have to start slightly earlier (so gets more hours). If not were happy to keep things as they are.

My question is whether we have to pay her more as it would be a nanny share? We pay 12 an hour (outskirts of London) and she brings her own child with her, if that makes any difference.

Thanks for any advice.

nannynick Mon 16-Jan-17 21:28:41

A nannyshare is typically paid more as the nanny has to meet the needs of two sets of parents and juggle holiday between two families. The amount they paid more varies but it can be 20-30%.

Your issue here though is her bringing her own child, as that is already really a share and under childcare law (Childcare Act 2006 and others) she can't be a nanny caring for children from three families at the same time (so occasions when one or more of your children are present, with her child present, plus the other families child/children present).
Nannies in the UK work under the following exemption from childminding registration: www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2008/979/article/3/made

Blondeshavemorefun Mon 16-Jan-17 22:07:12

As nick said employing a nwoc means you can't use another family

Why do you want to fill the school hours? To save money? Also very hard to fill 9-3

And yes you wihid have to pay her more. The other family would Why wihid any sane nanny look after your friends child for free while yours are at school

Assume that's £12gross

SuspendedInGaffaTape Tue 17-Jan-17 09:01:55

Ah right, didn't know that. Thanks for the info. I'm not looking to fill those hours, a friend just needs childcare for those specific hours so we were trying to work something out but if it doesn't work out we can leave things as they are. Appreciate the input!

Cindy34 Tue 17-Jan-17 09:17:47

I would avoid doing it, don't think you get anything out of it and as others have pointed out there are legal issues.

It would be different if your nanny did not have their own child, as the legal issue would not be there and there are more advantages for you.

I would leave things as they are but make the job more of a nanny/housekeeper position as the children get older, so the house duties increase. Gradually increase things, consider what you need done, what is not already being done. All children's bedding, all children's laundry if they are not already included in nanny duties.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now