Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

After school ideas?

(9 Posts)
Captainladder Thu 12-Jan-17 14:43:19

Childminder to afterschool aged mindees Reception age through to year 5... mix of boys and girls. Wondering what anyone else does with thier afterschoolers? I live close to the school so 3 days a week there is an afternoon club to pick up from as well. We basically do free play, a bit of Wii, snack time... bit of craft... and always a film and popcorn on Fridays! Just looking for a few fresh ideas if anyone has any?!

Blondie1984 Sat 14-Jan-17 02:40:57

Would you feel comfortable doing some cooking with them? Nothing complicated - maybe bread? You could get then involved in weighing ingredients, kneading etc...

attheendoftheday Sun 29-Jan-17 18:43:17

Our wonderful cm does about the same as you - heavy on the outdoor free play with a bit of craft or TV when they're tired.

One of the reasons I prefer our cm to a nursery is that the dc can chill out a bit after school. They are there quite long hours so I think it would be a bit much to do doing stimulating activities all the time.

Captainladder Sun 29-Jan-17 20:46:01

Thanks for your ideas... I've talked to the kiddies about what they'd like too and baking was suggested so will try and fit that in once a week if possible. Adding a few more garden toys to the mix too.

Doglikeafox Mon 30-Jan-17 16:35:55

I always try and do something with my mindees after school, whether it be baking, a specific craft, a trip to the park or local aquarium, or something like that. We get home at 15:30, spend 45 minutes doing said activity and then they are expected to either watch TV, go to the playroom or play outside for another 45mins whilst I cook dinner, lay the table, clear up after the activity or whatever so that dinner can be ready for 17:00. If they want to, the over 5s are always welcome to help cook dinner or lay the table.
Works pretty well for us, and 45 mins seems to be the perfect amount of time so you don't hear the dreaded 'I'm bored'. grin

user1485903288 Tue 31-Jan-17 23:23:41

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

QueenMortificado Tue 31-Jan-17 23:31:49

Reported this one too user

Daisiesandgerberas Wed 01-Feb-17 07:03:41

I can't see why this would have been hidden/investigated.

Am I being naive?

QueenMortificado Wed 01-Feb-17 08:22:27

Was a troll

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now