Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Nanny going to friends house

(7 Posts)
TerrysNo3 Thu 12-Jan-17 10:07:12

Hello smile

Our nanny has been with us a few months and by and large she is really good. She works 4 days a week with a shorter day (9-3) where she only looks after DS2 (we have 3 DC)

On that day she has been taking DS2 to her friends house, who is a childminder. I don't mind him going there at all, he has lunch and a play with the other kids but when it is time for his nap she puts him in the buggy there and he sleeps for 2-3 hours.

I think she should be at our house then slaving away doing other jobs such as the kids washing, sorting their stuff out for next week. I would probably be less bothered if this was all done but quite often there will be clothes in their room that aren't put away or washing not done and it is the last day of her working week.

Am I being unreasonable? What should I do?

TIA

Karoleann Thu 12-Jan-17 10:12:33

I don't think you're being unreasonable at all.

Sit her down for her month review and just say that you would like your DS to have his main sleep in his cot and remind her that all the nursery duties need to be done by the weekend. Start with telling her that you think everything is going very well and that you're happy with her.

The review can be a two way process, ask her too how she feels things are going.

yoowhoo Thu 12-Jan-17 12:26:44

With my charges, we usually go to a group in the morning then home for lunch and a nap. I use that time to tidy up things and get bits ready for tea. There are days (perhaps once a fortnight) where we go to a friends house for most of the day (due to group logistics etc...) and the kids will nap there but I always make sure everything is sorted before leaving or leave adequate time for when we get home to do these things. I think you should say something. Nannying can be lonely and that's why I think it's great she has somewhere to go and I wouldn't necessarily stop that but just ask her to get bits done firstsmile

Doglikeafox Thu 12-Jan-17 12:43:23

I don't think you're being unreasonable at all. I am a childminder and often take the children to other friend's houses (who are also childminders) and sometimes, due to logistical reasons, a child may nap whilst we are there.
However as the PP has said, I would not do so if it compromised other things I am supposed to be doing. Obviously as a childminder I don't do children's laundry etc,

Doglikeafox Thu 12-Jan-17 12:45:26

Sorry keep pressing post without finishing!
Meant to add that even though I don't do children's laundry etc, I wouldn't for example let children go home on Friday without gathering their things, or writing in their learning journey etc.
I think you need to speak to nanny and ask that she makes sure all things are done, even if it means that X has to have his nap at home, not at friends house. That might be a better approach than saying can he not sleep there, which could sound unreasonable without the reason's you have given Xx

NuffSaidSam Thu 12-Jan-17 13:41:42

YANBU.

It's a perfectly reasonable request for her to bring him home and get on with some jobs while he sleeps (after she's taken some time for a lunch break of course).

TerrysNo3 Thu 12-Jan-17 13:59:24

Thanks all, you've all said what I have thought and I have asked her to bring him home after lunch, I totally get that nannying can be quite lonely so I am more than happy for her to take him places with other nannys/friends but it doesn't have to be all day if it interferes with her jobs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now