Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

AP would like private language lessons although local college does free ESOL

(5 Posts)
happynappy Thu 22-Feb-07 15:41:27

Thoughts please - new AP has just tried out the local college for a couple of lessons but does not like the teacher/college. She mentioned that another AP in the class recommended a private language school nearby but obviously she would have to pay. We had said, initially, if there was no suitable free Esol lessons then we would contribute. Obviously there are suitable free courses but our AP is not impressed. Now I'm wondering what other host parents would do in my situation. I have not asked her but I would imagine she is hoping we will contribute as per our original AP advert. I can see it from both sides and wondered what you all thought?

Muminfife Thu 22-Feb-07 16:05:39

Message withdrawn

MrsGoranVisnjic Thu 22-Feb-07 16:06:32

I'd tell her to pay for them herself

sunnyjim Sun 25-Feb-07 12:22:22

I'd find out what she didn't like about it. If her reasons were okay and I was otherwise happy with her I might contribute a SMALL amount, but explain that as there is a free course your budget doesn't stretch to paying for a private course.

how much are the private lessons?

happynappy Tue 27-Feb-07 22:02:37

Hi, sorry for absence have been busy as mum in law was here. AP says the lessons will be £250 per term, although I don't know if this is accurate. My instinct is that as there is a suitable free course then I don't want to pay for private lessons. But this might seem churlish from her point of view. She has not expanded on her reasons and does not seem to be able to articulate why the college/course/teacher are not suitable. I wonder perhaps if she had just imagined that language school might be more glamorous in London than the reality of the local FE college. I do want her to feel valued but I don't want to pay unnecessarily or feel that we are bottomless pit of money for extras.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now