Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Help Ofsted inspection looming!

(6 Posts)
libbysmummy Wed 21-Feb-07 19:21:45

Hi I had a call from Ofsted yest, wanting to arrange my first inspection since registering (I have been minding since Oct) Just wanting to know what to expect really, how ling is the visit, what they ask, do they just sit and watch you etc etc.
Typically I was happily minding a 20 mth old full time until Fri (until her (very unreliable) mum did a bunk by text on me - no notice and owing me money!) but have a 5yr old starting in 2 wks. Just a bit nervous about having an inpsection with a child that is new in my setting.....
Any advice gratefully received!

mizzy Wed 21-Feb-07 22:20:58

It's always a worry but try and carry on as normal. They will chat to you as you work, whether it's playing with the children or making lunch etc. Visits are usually a couple of hours. Make sure all your paperwork is up to date (permissions etc). Have photos, scrapbooks, courses attended, evidence of activities you've done to show them. The more organised you look the better. Be aware of birth to 3 framework and if you're new to CM you should be aware of their new guidelines for inspections. Will your 5yr old be at school during the inspection?

dmo Wed 21-Feb-07 22:25:08

they normally want to see you with minded children whole the inspection is on.
if you have no children they tend to mark you down.
if you have no children i would phone them to explain they may bob in after school or at a later date when you have more mindees

bmz Thu 22-Feb-07 09:52:08

I only have after school children. The inspector came first during the day to see my set up and ask questions. Make sure your well organised. Then she came again another day when I had the children. Make sure you have activities available for them so that they can choose themselves. She stayed about 1 hour and observed me with the children. I got a GOOD in all sections.
Good luck. It's not going to be as bad as you might think.

Auntiemary Thu 22-Feb-07 11:22:39

Dont Panic!
Have been minding now for 20 years.
Ofsted inspectors are human and realise that you have to break conv to attend your charges.
At my last inspection (that lasted approx 2 hours) i had to do 5 toilet runs, build 3 towers of blocks and explain why we were having to wait a bit longer 4 lunch to a 3 year old who thought they were going to starve!
Plan some activities that your charge can do with out lots of help, introduce a new toy, and let the inspector know that your charge is new to the setting.
Have all your paperwork to hand
Good luck

libbysmummy Fri 23-Feb-07 18:57:36

HI
Sorry I haven't responded before - not been able to log on the last couple of nights.
Thanks for all your advice! Inspector called me today and is coming on 12th March.
She is coming at 1.15 to do the chat etc, then when I pick the child up at 3.00 she is going to check my paperwork while i am gone (pickup only takes 10 mins) and will then observe me till 5.00. Once the child has gone, she is going to give me my feedback - sounds like I will have her for hours!!!!!!!
Thanks again, I fell a bit more confident now, I am so used to having kids under 2 and have never had a school age one before so will swot up on what they like to do!!!!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now