Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

How much is a live-in nanny?

(11 Posts)
Gusthetheatrecat Tue 03-Jan-17 18:32:57

I know this is a 'how long is a piece of string' question. We've had au pairs for the past few years and it's suited us brilliantly.
But I may change my job in a year or so, doing something more predictable and maybe better paid, so I am thinking ahead.
I can't find a ball park figure. Gum tree is full of chancers wanting a nanny on au pair money. I know very experienced nannies will command more money.
For context, we are in Zone 3 and would be offering an en suite double room.
If anyone has a rough idea of a net hourly rate I can use Mr Anchovy to add tax, employers' NI etc.

Cindy34 Tue 03-Jan-17 19:46:28

Not sure, I expect it may range from £300-600 net per week.
What sort of salaries are you seeing other parents advertise in your area?

Don't use MrAnchovy (unless he has updated the website) as it does tax calculation for several years ago. www.nannypaye.co.uk has a tax calculator on their homepage, which will give you a figure based on 2016/17 financial year. That will be good enough to get a feel for what it will cost as I don't think that much is changing in April (tax allowance goes up to £11,500).

Gusthetheatrecat Wed 04-Jan-17 08:30:22

I don't see many other nanny adverts in my area, and definitely not for live-in. But I will keep an eye out as that's a good suggestion. Thanks for the heads-up re Mr Anchovy'a calculator too.

user1483387154 Wed 04-Jan-17 08:37:49

Within London I would say you are looking at 450+ net per week for a qualified career Nanny. Probably around 700 for someone with a lot of experience.

Please ensure you check their qualifications as there are a lot of 'nannies' out there who have none and yet still charge the same as those who have trained for 2 years full time.

ittybittyluna Wed 04-Jan-17 11:16:58

I think it would really depend on the hours you want and which part of London you're in as well.

For example, the salaries for SE London are slightly lower than the rest of London (that is changing though). Around £450 net for an experienced nanny doing 12 hours a day (M-F with a babysit or two during the week) seems about right.

There are £700 net per week jobs out there but there are typically complicating factors - family want a very experienced nanny who potentially speaks another language, but mum is around and other staff too. Lots of travel, night work, and the nanny is expected to be very flexible about working hours. Sometimes weekend work is expected too.

Gusthetheatrecat Wed 04-Jan-17 13:04:54

Is there such a thing as a part-time live-in nanny? I guess it would all depend on whether the position was attractive to someone? I would be pretty comfortable with a junior nanny as we've used au pairs up until now (and will almost certainly carry on doing so, I am just musing over options really.)

ittybittyluna Wed 04-Jan-17 13:35:57

Yes, a nanny who works before and after school with the day free to pursue hobbies etc for example.

A friend of mine was also recently offered a 3.5 day live in role (however allowed to live in the whole week and permitted to get another job on her off days). I have another friend working a weekend role in Richmond (Friday afternoon to Monday morning), and the family are happy for her to have a permanent bedroom at their house. They do exist.

Cazz81 Thu 05-Jan-17 08:29:17

Go through an agency - might be easier. A friend pays circa £500pw for live in nanny Monday-Friday. The nanny stays at friends over the weekend.

aaupair Thu 05-Jan-17 10:43:24

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

TheClacksAreDown Thu 05-Jan-17 11:36:42

Op I would call around some agencies to get a proper view. They will happily talk to you just be vague about timing of when you're hiring. You can get a feel from looking at their live jobs on their websites. There is a big range from c300npw upwards but agencies would be able to give you a steer as to what you'd need to pay in your circumstances for a decent nanny. Of course the more you pay the more interest you will have it you should still have a decent range of candidates at £400npw. You could go lower if you would be happy with a "junior"nanny.

Nannytax.co.uk do wages surveys and for live in nannies in 2015 was showing gross of 342 for central London and 371 for greater London and Home Counties. Both down a bit on previous years. They also do total cost calculators.

Do beat in mind pensions requirements that are coming in which will have costs for you plus the living wage which will put a floor on what can be paid.

BlueOnMondayNight Sun 08-Jan-17 18:01:48

about £300 - 400 net per week I was told by agencies in London.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now