Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Paid After school care by friend

(3 Posts)
yippeekiyay2 Tue 03-Jan-17 18:10:07

Hi all I wonder if you could offer your advice please. I am currently on maternity leave but when I return I am looking at the best childcare option for our older dd who is 8 (baby will be at nursery). The childcare is for approximately 2 to 2 and a half hours after school 3 or 4 times a week. We have a family friend who has done some babysitting for us casually and has offered to do it, but as it would be paid I am unsure how it would work for legal purposes - will I need to employ her as a nanny or a childminder or can it be done without doing this as it is in our home and is a friend providing the care? I want to make sure whatever we do is above board and the right thing for us and her. Many thanks

Cindy34 Tue 03-Jan-17 19:41:42

This friend does not have children who you would care for in return do they?

Assuming you are not swapping childcare between you but will be paying this friend, then the easiest legal setup is that your friend cares for your DD at your home, as your nanny.

If you need to register as an employer will depend on how much you pay and your friends other income. If this is their only work and you pay less than £112 a week, then you would not need to register as an employer.

yippeekiyay2 Tue 03-Jan-17 20:15:49

Thank you Cindy that's helpful; no she doesn't have any children so there is no reciprocal arrangement in place. Would have to check about the other work etc as not sure how it would work yet...it does seem like employing her as nanny would be best...hmm lots more thinking to do before a decision I think smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now