Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

CM Club: What would you do.....

(11 Posts)
Saz73 Tue 20-Feb-07 15:27:58

I've got a 2yr full time mindee who has been with me for 1 mth but it's only for a total of 3mths as they are moving. Just been approached by a parent to look after a 2 yr old full time. Childminding has gone pretty quiet around here at the moment, so got no one yet to fill space. Hubby says to give notice and take other 2 yr old on as it's longer contract....what would you do?

agalch Tue 20-Feb-07 15:53:28

Hi Saz73

Can you not do both? Seems a shame to miss out on a permanant mindee.

Saz73 Tue 20-Feb-07 15:54:48

Can't do both. All ready look after a 12mth.

Tried applying to Ofsted before but got refused as it's new business.

agalch Tue 20-Feb-07 16:03:52

I will most probably be the only minder on here to say this so here goes.If it was me in my situation atm i would take on new mindee and give notice to current mindee.

I can only have 1 mindee under 5 till my dd's are at school and i have also got 2 ds's so as my numbers are limited i would be thinking of myself/my family first.

But i would feel crappy at giving notice,as i said everyone else here will say keep current mindee then look for someone else i would think.

looneytune Tue 20-Feb-07 16:16:10

Hi saz! I don't want to answer your question as I'd be on here asking the same thing if it was me!! hehe BUT, I wanted to let you know I'm having little baby afterall and the lady who wanted me on Mon-Thurs, 8-6 no had to be let down this morning Let me know if you want me to pass her your details or if you want her number! It's for 9 month old girl, mum was really lovely.

Saz73 Tue 20-Feb-07 16:57:22

Hi Looneytune you can pass my details on. But hence the thread not sure what to do. The only other space I;'ve got is a monday and tuesday but nobody seems to want just two days at the moment. Don't want to let the 12mth down as that's long term too....

mykidzrmyworld Tue 20-Feb-07 18:15:41

I think u should think about your finacial situation and think can you really afford to turn this away??If not then you know what to do! Id hate to be in your situation and id end asking u all for advice too! Could you not get a variation for a temp situation>??Sometimes they agree to a short term thing??Just a thought! Good luck tho

ThePrisoner Tue 20-Feb-07 19:02:45

Not much help at the moment as you are already in the situation, but if I've ever been asked to do a short-term contract or something ad hoc which may use up a full-time place, I've always told parents that I am happy to do what they need, but that if someone else contacts me and wants something permanent and/or long-term, I would have to review the situation (ie. they might have to leave). I've never yet asked anyone to leave early in this situation, but it covers my back.

Do you know what the situation is with other childminders locally? Are there lots of minders with vacancies, or not enough childminders? If there is a lack of childcare spaces, Ofsted might be nice (ha ha).

I've recently been given a variation allowing me to have 4 named children on a permanent basis as the mother couldn't find anyone to accommodate both her baby and schoolchild. It is categorically for new business, and has been allowed by Ofsted (but they trusted my version of events and haven't actually checked anything!)

As mykidzrmyworld says, perhaps they'd be a bit more lenient if you said if was a very short-term variation (especially if there are no other minders who could do it).

StrawberrySnowflakes Tue 20-Feb-07 19:47:29

well i may be in the minority too, but id firstly: contact Ofsted(someone high up enough to authorise) and ask for a temp variation explaining situation..failing that(if they say no as ofsted like to do) i'd give notice to temp child and take on new child..your notice period is prob 4 weeks??..so only 8 weeks less than they were leaving anyway and you do have to think of you own finances esp as business is not so easy to find at min!..good luck

Saz73 Tue 20-Feb-07 19:58:28

Thanks guys. Will have a further think about it. I'm a big softy and know I will feel guilty. Will let you know what happens.

I;m been turned down twice by Ofsted for variation on new business so don't think I will try a third!

StrawberrySnowflakes Tue 20-Feb-07 20:00:30

speak to temp mum then, explain your situaion im sure she 'should' understand..get new parent to sign contracts first before you stop mindng other one tho!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now