Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Au pair car insurance

(11 Posts)
Sleeperandthespindle Fri 30-Dec-16 07:24:12

If you have an au pair who is a named driver on your car insurance, can you tell me what you recorded as their employment status? I'm just looking at 'comparethemarket'. They're not 'employed' are they? So 'student' but which category? There is an option for 'student living away' or 'student living at home' as well as 'postgraduate' etc.
Thanks.

Lonecatwithkitten Fri 30-Dec-16 17:21:49

I insure through a broker with Allianz who have an 'au pair' category.

SouthPole Thu 05-Jan-17 18:13:07

Just found oh my insurer (Direct Line) won't insure our au pair. She'll be 19 in May.

So sick of all childcare arrangements falling to me. And when they fall through me being the one rushing around like a blue arsed fly getting everything done.

She's back tonight from
Spain 🇪🇸

I have to tell her. She'll be snapped up tho, she's great.

lunchboxtroubles Fri 06-Jan-17 07:12:31

Standard advice on this forum is that if you want your au pair to drive they need to be over 22 or the insurance is prohibitive

savagehk Fri 06-Jan-17 07:23:00

Is it worth checking if any insurer can insure her independently on a different policy? I imagine cost is prohibitive.

pklme Fri 06-Jan-17 07:29:15

I got my son insurance with a black box in the car, he was 19, and it wasn't too bad- in his name, but for a cheap car. There are some cheaper policies out there, it's worth keeping looking.

SouthPole Fri 06-Jan-17 08:07:38

Thanks for that super useful retrospective advice Lunchbox.

Our first AP was 23 and the second 19 and they were both easily insured (large excess but that's to be expected).

I am going to speak with my insurers and see if they can make an exemption for me and her (!). I've been with them for such a long time and they've been brilliant whenever we've had a claim.

I really don't want to move!

Anyway, I am not giving up just yet. I'll do the maths and Im sure having her here will be better than not, despite having to move insurers and pay more. The other thing is she's only here until May so I'd like to be able to cancel the contract without much in the way of a cancellation charge.

I'm sure I'll figure it out.

SouthPole Fri 06-Jan-17 08:09:11

I did ask about insuring independently but apparently it's never done as they insure the car and not the person, and two policies isn't usually agreed to (confusion in the event of an accident etc).

savagehk Fri 06-Jan-17 08:18:17

You won't be paid out from both policies on case of claim (obvs) but usually they only exclude paying out only to the extent that another policy has already done so. Of course you'll need to get that in writing from both insurers to be on the safe side!!

lunchboxtroubles Fri 06-Jan-17 09:23:01

You're welcome. (Ignores sarcasm) - it isn't exactly retrospective as you'll presumably be looking for a new au pair?

SouthPole Fri 06-Jan-17 20:52:12

Definitely!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now