Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

What do you do about nanny when children start pre-school/school?

(13 Posts)
Addictedtocustardcreams Wed 28-Dec-16 13:13:11

I have a nanny for my two pre-school children but this is not very common where I live. My eldest is going to school next year & my youngest will get his pre-school place, so the nanny will have a few hours a day where she doesn't have any children to look after. What is it normal to do in this circumstance? Do you just pay them as normal as they aren't working but you want to keep them on standby? Do you ever ask them to do other stuff around the home to fill the time? How about when both children are in school? We have a nanny as both me & DH do long days so I couldn't find any other childcare until late enough in the evening.

lunchboxtroubles Wed 28-Dec-16 14:22:55

You pay them as normal - you'll need them in school holidays and if kids are ill. Mine had a three hour gap - she did a bit of (adult) ironing, but I made it clear that she should consider an hour of it as her break as she doesn't get a proper lunchtime break,

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 28-Dec-16 14:37:39

Agree keep as normal. By the time she has taken to nursery and returned home then return at lunch you are prob talking 2/2.5hrs

Yes the nanny can do nursery duties then but don't dictate what and when she does them

Agree also a sit down with a cuppa is allowed

Children get ill /fall over /holidays etc so keeping nanny on call ESP if you work long hours is well worth it

Addictedtocustardcreams Wed 28-Dec-16 15:07:53

Oh yes I should have said that envisaged that the time when DC2 is in preschool would encompass a well earned paid break time. He is about to drop his nap so she will need it!
Excuse my ignorance but what do you mean by nursery duties?

Addictedtocustardcreams Wed 28-Dec-16 15:10:38

And also then when both DCs are in full time school would you still keep the nanny on full time stand by? We were hoping to reduce our childcare costs as time goes by but I am starting to think that we are unrealistic to plan this anytime in the foreseeable future!

ittybittyluna Wed 28-Dec-16 15:17:53

Nurseries duties could be: keeping children's areas clean and tidy, changing children's beds, washing/disinfecting toys, organising playroom, sorting clothes which are too small, batch cooking for the freezer, children's washing, folding and putting away of children's clothes, buying new clothes.

Once my children head to school I am happy to take on more errands such as buying and wrapping birthday presents, picking up groceries for parents, and popping to the post office.

Nursery duties tend to be a standard part of a nanny job, the additional duties need to be something agreed between you. You could sit down with your nanny and ask her if she is happy to take on additional tasks (she doesn't have to, but nannies tend to be a helpful sort). I hate ironing so would never iron for parents but I will happily groom their long haired cats and take them to the vet! I love to cook, and make family meals with enough left over for the parents twice a week. Most of my bosses have been very, very flexible, and allowed me to go to the gym twice a week or for coffee with another nanny friend as long as I am nearby with my phone in case I have to collect the children. In return, I am willing to take on numerous "non-nanny" tasks in return as long as I have time and I am asked nicely.

nannynick Wed 28-Dec-16 15:48:15

Looking a bit further out, once they are both at school then the role becomes more housekeeper/nanny, which can involve all household duties such as cleaning and all family laundry. It really depends on what you and your nanny agree. Nanny can also help with school trips and class activities.

You may look at dropping hours but that may result in needing to find a new nanny as your current one may not be happy with reduced hours.

Addictedtocustardcreams Wed 28-Dec-16 15:59:50

Ok that's all super helpful thank you. My nanny has only been a nanny for a short time once before & as I say I don't know many people who have one, so it's really helpful to have all your thoughts on how to work things.

cakesandphotos Wed 28-Dec-16 16:00:00

In my previous job, when the little one started nursery I did ironing, laundry, hoovering, emptied and loaded dishwasher etc. Any errands they needed running such as going to the post office or paying for swimming/ballet etc (with their money!) I also did the weekly shop.
The little one was only at nursery 9-12 or 12-3 so by the time I had dropped off, come home and then set out again I only really had 2 and a half hours tops.
And it meant I was there if the school rang or a child was ill etc.
Possibly different when both children are in full time school but I suppose you have to decide if it's worth it financially to have peace of mind that there is someone around

IronMaggie Wed 28-Dec-16 16:14:18

Hi Addicted - we're in a similar situation, but just a couple of years ahead. I have one DS in full time school and the other in nursery now but starting reception in September.

We've kept our nanny on during that time and it's obviously been much more convenient for us not having to do drop-offs, and more comfortable (perhaps?) for my DCs being in their own home after school. However our nanny does have long breaks in the middle of her day which she tries to fill, but I know she gets very bored some days. She has offered to do some regular housekeeping but it hasn't worked out that way for a few reasons - we still have a weekly cleaner.

Once both DCs are in school I think we'll have to make a change to our schedule. I've started researching after school club and childminders but no concrete plans yet. I'd say keep your nanny for as long as you can afford to, if you need the flexibility for work.

HookandSwan Wed 28-Dec-16 16:15:25

Nursery duties would include tidying bedrooms/children's washing, batch cooking children's meals. Tidying/cleaning toys etc. Also as you very kindly said taking a break. grin

exercisejunkie Thu 29-Dec-16 08:24:18

I'm a nanny, my younger charge is now at pre school 3 mornings, I started with them when she was a baby and still having two naps so as those naps have been dropped I've still had nursery duties to do. My boss now sees the time the little one is at pre school as the same as when she used to nap so time for me to do jobs...without a child attached to me! In reality It's only 2 hours at a time!

minipie Tue 03-Jan-17 15:49:21

Lots of nannies around us. I think most people here do keep their nanny on when they have one at school and one at pre-school.

Once they are both in school I think there are more options though none are easy or cheap! Some people have a nanny/housekeeper (the expensive option, though means you can ask them to do things like cook you dinner... amazing!). Others use a combination of au pair and school holiday clubs, or breakfast club/after school club and holiday clubs. Depends on your hours and whether you have space for an au pair and what your DCs' school offers.

A few families have a full time nanny for their school age kids, but the nanny helps out a different family (often a mum at home on mat leave who needs a bit of help) for some hours during the school day. This shares the costs a bit and also works well if you have a long term nanny who you want to keep but she doesn't want to become a nanny/housekeeper.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now