Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Eek interviewing a nanny for the first time -help!

(4 Posts)
Alwaysinahurrynow Tue 27-Dec-16 14:32:12

We're interviewing for a nanny for the first time. There are lots of question lists on the internet, but I know there's nothing like first-hand experience (I have over years of interviewing at work got my killer questions, but they don't really work in a childcare settings) so any tips?

Know I need to check:
Gross v net salary expectations
First aid
Previous employers being contacted

Thanks

nannynick Tue 27-Dec-16 15:47:14

Yet another list of interview questions:
http://www.nannypaye.co.uk/Media/Popular-Interview-Questions.pdf

An unusual question on that list is Fears & Phobias. Your nanny might have a fear of spiders and young children will pick up on that and may develop the fear themselves or may be the complete opposite and become the spider catcher!
So questions like this do not help you determine if the candidate is suitable or not, they tell you more about the person. You want to get to know them, you want to know their interests, likes and dislikes. You need to try to determine if you and your family will get along with them.

nannynick Tue 27-Dec-16 15:53:27

How old are your children?

You want to find someone you are confident with so you can leave your children in their care knowing that your children will be safe & happy. You want to know that your home will be treated with respect.

Listen to your gut instincts. Avoid stereotyping... so what if they have a tattoo... so what if they are a bloke (Grant in Dr Who Christmas Special was a SuperHero). Focus on if they will fit with your family, if they have similar attitude towards how to raise children.

lovelearning Tue 27-Dec-16 16:02:52

any tips?

Do you like the person?

If you get a good vibe off him/her, it's likely your children will too.

And make sure you get references.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now