Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Help! Where to start to look for a CM??

(10 Posts)
sengo Mon 19-Feb-07 22:21:00

Hi all
We planned to leave my 10months old boy to a nursery but now im considering that a home environment might be better and so a CM is a better option as i will start work in april.. but all these months i never gave this option a thought as we were convinced that nursery will be ok.. now i want to find a CM but am browsing on the web as there are hundreds of links..really confused please help, i tried to read as much as i could in the last weeks but need help how to actually find one and ask for apptmnts.
helllpppp, shall i just call some numbers from the CIS website, is it that straightforward??

Katymac Mon 19-Feb-07 22:22:26

Yes basically

What area are you in - there might be MN inder close by

There are some questions to ask your prospective minder I'll bump the thread for you

LoveMyGirls Mon 19-Feb-07 22:22:51

Yes use the CIS website, don't panic you will be fine. Do start looking now though just so you can have enough time.

ThePrisoner Tue 20-Feb-07 01:09:37

I don't know whether all CIS work the same as my area one does but, assuming that it does, they should be able to supply you with various leaflets/booklets re. childminders, childcare choice (ie. why you should choose a childminder!!) etc. If they can't, they should be able to point you in the right direction.

Ring up a few local minders, just tell them that you are considering using a childminder and, if they have a vacancy, could you pop round for an informal chat. It will help you get a feel for what you might or might not like. Visiting does not mean you have to choose that person.

Ask around friends, work colleagues or neighbours for recommendations (but still check them out yourself).

sengo Tue 20-Feb-07 11:19:18

Thanks Katymac, these questions are great, will be just printing out as i go to see CMs!
I am in Wootton Bassett, swindon..
but i am not sure whether i should look for a CM locally here in WB or in Swindon, thats where I work (Pipers way, close to Old Town)as i would need to pick up latest 6pm isnt it? or is this negotiable?

sengo Tue 20-Feb-07 11:36:25

Hi Prisoner, Thanks a lot! I will contact CIS to get help/advice.
I have unfortunately not many friends with kids as I am not long here in UK.. but will ask my neighbours who have 4-5 year old toddlers..

DANCEDEE Tue 20-Feb-07 17:00:22

Hi sengo, i am a childminder in swindon and i am in the haydon wick area probably not the area your looking for . Good luck i am sure your find a cm in time there are lots of good ones in swindon.

sengo Fri 23-Feb-07 18:18:00

Hi Dancedee, I dont know where Haydon Wick is to be honest, I searched here in WB but not lots of vacancies for babies, I will have my first and only apptmnt on wednesday fingers crossed..
Now I started also searching around office (wroughton/old town) in case we cannot find here one.. do you know anybody around this area?

sengo Fri 23-Feb-07 18:19:37

Thanks Lovemygirls, i think im more in panic as the time gets quite tight, I hope we will find a suitable CM in time..
sorry for late response, I didnt mean to ignore your message, thanks for input

DANCEDEE Fri 23-Feb-07 20:44:51

No sorry only Really know minders in my area . GOOD LUCK for your first visit

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now