Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Help with picking the correct childcare?

(6 Posts)
hanban89 Sat 17-Dec-16 23:02:14

Due to a probable break up with my mother (it's on another thread) I'm panicking about childcare for my DDs. My older one is at school so would need looking after for two hours, and my other DD is going to be 2 in Feb
I'm worried about DD2 as she is very clingy. Hates strangers. If people out and about speak to her she just looks down mostly. (She broke her arm in October and ever since is very wary of people coming near her).
I don't know wether a nursery would be too much for her. Nanny/childminder? All ideas welcome. I think I like the idea of nanny but we would need to make some major cutbacks to afford this. It's possible though. It's only for one day per week if that makes a difference.

savagehk Sat 17-Dec-16 23:05:38

Would you have space for an aupair?

hanban89 Sat 17-Dec-16 23:20:09

We do have a spare room. I'm not really sure how au pairs work TBH and I don't know if I could have someone living with me. I'm a tad OCD as is DH. I think if we had more room maybe.

savagehk Sat 17-Dec-16 23:24:39

In a very brief nutshell, they stay with you to be exposed to a different culture and (usually) improve their English. You don't employ them, but provide free board and lodging and "pocket money" of £70-£85 per week. In exchange they help look after kids and may (by agreement) do light house work or cooking in addition.

underneaththeash Sat 17-Dec-16 23:57:09

There's no point getting a live in au pair for one day a week and your DD is unlikely to adapt to nursery just for one day a week. A nanny or childminder is a much better solution.
If you go onto nanny job.co.uk you can get a good idea of how much nannies are paid in your area and decide if you can afford it.

nannynick Sun 18-Dec-16 09:07:38

Look at local Childminders. With two children a childminder will be cheaper than a nanny. If your working hours fit with 8-6 then most childminders will do that and some will do longer hours.
See what is available - family information service will have a list of registered childminders and if you don't find anything then look at other options such as a live-out or live-in nanny.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now