Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

What do you do with babies who are normally cuddled to sleep?

(15 Posts)
Heirhelp Sat 17-Dec-16 18:31:28

I will be going back to work when DD is 11 1/2 months. At the moment she is cuddled to sleep. There is a while before I go back to work but is this going to be a problem?

GreenRut Sat 17-Dec-16 18:44:07

If you're me you still cuddle them to sleep for several years after. Learn from my mistakes! Stop it now <looks wistfully out window wondering how it came to this >

NuffSaidSam Sat 17-Dec-16 18:46:22

It depends what sort of of childcare you use.

I'm a nanny and I would cuddle her to sleep. Bit more difficult if you're using a nursery of childminder who has several other children to supervise.

In most cases a baby can be taught to self settle fairly easily though, even if they still need to be cuddled at home. They adapt to a different routine in a different place really surprisingly easily.

scrivette Sat 17-Dec-16 18:52:11

I cuddle/feed DS1 to sleep but at nursery he lays down with all the other babies and guess to sleep on his own. He got into their routine pretty quickly and he was only there one day a week.

Heirhelp Sat 17-Dec-16 19:07:03

Thanks I am hoping an she will just adapt.

Loulou2kent Sat 17-Dec-16 19:07:53

I'm a childminder & have many little ones who come to me being used to cuddled to sleep. I've not had one yet that didn't get used to napping in a cot once I'd put them down for their sleep.

I'm not one to leave them to cry either, it's just amazing how different little ones are in different situations. I know for a fact my own son won't sleep without cuddles, but if my mum or sister have him, he goes off perfectly well in his cot.

It's all about routine. The little ones I have get worn out in the morning on trips out or groups & softplay & then home for lunch & nap. They all go off so quickly! I just wished my own son did it for me!

I would probably try & see how you get on seeing if he can get himself to sleep but if you struggle just be honest with your nanny/childminder/nursery & they'll find ways to work with you. You may even be able to try and do the same at home??

I wouldn't let it stress you out too much. Children are very good generally at getting used to their childcare routine smile

Artandco Sat 17-Dec-16 19:11:47

Most will cuddle to sleep still if needed

I would suggest trying to reduce cuddling to help her settle elsewhere though. Ie if on your bed for naps try just laying next to her with hand patting her, then few days later hand next to her, then just laying next to her with space between you. Or on sofa try just laying her on sofa cosy and you sitting next to her just soothing with hand for example

5moreminutes Sat 17-Dec-16 19:13:28

I used to be a child minder and I did happily cuddle babies and toddlers to sleep or walk them to sleep if that's what parents wanted, equally I'd put them in the cot awake if that's what their parents wanted (obviously I couldn't have taken on 3 who needed cuddling to sleep for the same days grin ). You might find someone who will, but also many babies do adapt to doing things differently with different people and might only need cuddling if you are there wink

campervan07 Sat 17-Dec-16 19:13:36

I was stuck feeding mine to sleep. Tried to break the habit unsuccessfully for months so was very worried when I started mine at nursery at 8 months old. He slept for a forty minute nap and a 30 minute one with them just cuddling and patting in his cot. Every visit since then his naps have got better. Nursery staff work wonders!

Also any good nursery will listen to your concerns and plan how to deal with them. I got settling in sessions where we visited just for one nap and a bit of play time before.

Are you using a nursery or childminder?

LotisBlue Sat 17-Dec-16 19:22:19

Our nursery are happy to cuddle babies to sleep, although ds seems to prefer being bounced to sleep in a chair when he's there

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 21-Dec-16 11:48:53

Do you want your dd to learn to self settle and fall asleep by herself?

Do you want the nanny to cuddle to sleep?

jannier Wed 21-Dec-16 12:45:45

Maybe consider gradual with drawl were you sit next to baby maybe holding against side of body or leg, then after a few days hand on, then hand removed, then just next to...takes about a week to 10 days I've always done this with my own and minded children and it has never failed even for children who 2 years later still cant sleep alone at home.

WheresTheEvidence Wed 21-Dec-16 13:22:32

I think now is the time to work on a way of self settle/soothe. Decide on what works for you and then try it. It shouldn't take long.

BertieBotts Wed 21-Dec-16 13:29:33

I used to cuddle DS until he was about 3 or 4. He never needed it from anyone else. He just settled for them. I know they weren't lying because once or twice I'd come home and he'd still be awake. But this was a minority.

Looneytune253 Wed 21-Dec-16 13:38:33

Well you have plenty of time to start now getting your baby to get used to going to sleep on their own. That would make life easier for the childcare and make the start of their relationship easier if you could start preparing the little one now.
Fwiw I'm a childminder and have had babies throughy doors that have been like that. I can usually quite quickly get them into my routine though but it would make a difference if you could help them starting now. Will make your life easier in the long run.
I'll always remember one little one I had was always breastfed, cuddled and rocked to sleep and mum was very very anxious. She was astounded when she came back and he was lying alone flat out asleep on a 1 hr visit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now