Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Au pair - job offer made

(9 Posts)
EverythingisOK123 Sat 17-Dec-16 07:20:05

A bit confused and wondering if this is the norm. We are looking for an an au pair to join us and have been interviewing intensely over the past few weeks. 2 candidates who seemed lovely after a lot of skyping I made job offers to but on both occasions I heard nothing back, no yes or no either way. Just nothing. After building up relationships with them and having the peace of kind that they seem like the right fit, to not hear back is making me doubt my judgement. Is this what happens and I just have to hope for a more communicative outcome the next time I make an offer??

underneaththeash Sat 17-Dec-16 13:38:08

Maybe they just didn't think it was the right placement for them? Its much better them deciding that before the arrive. Either that or someone else was quicker with their offer and they accepted them first.

The only other thing I can think of is that you worded your offer badly?

EverythingisOK123 Sat 17-Dec-16 13:58:51

Thanks for replying. The offer made was very clear. I just can't understand why they can't reply to say "no thanks it's not for me" rather than cut off all communication as up until the offer was made we were communicating brilliantly!

Pattakiller Sat 17-Dec-16 14:41:41

How did you make your offer?

EverythingisOK123 Sat 17-Dec-16 14:54:04

Via email

nell15 Sat 17-Dec-16 14:57:12

It's strange you haven't heard from them. Email them again with a date by which you'd like to hear from them otherwise you'll assume they're not interested.

underneaththeash Sat 17-Dec-16 16:53:56

How did you phrase the offer? If it had only happened once, I'd just put it down to one flakey au pair, but its odd that it happened twice.

When I email with an offer I put something along the lines of....
Its been lovely chatting to you over the last week and I can really imagine you fitting into our family. With this in mind, we would like to offer to host you as our au pair from xxxx to xxxx.

I'm just wondering if your offer was too formal, you're not offering employment.

Rooster44 Sun 18-Dec-16 08:21:28

We've had this once before, she was all set to come, we were looking at the flights etc then just fell off the face of the earth..... no message, nothing?! All very annoying indeed - how hard is it to say "sorry I changed my mind"?

EverythingisOK123 Sun 18-Dec-16 08:36:47

Thank you for your feedback all. One has now responded and the other I will write off as one of those things, indeed it does feel like she has fallen off the face of the earth as we were in touch (and even met!) and all was well until I worded what I though was a well phrased offer !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now