Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

How to become a childminder?

(4 Posts)
lyssie29 Fri 16-Dec-16 10:25:13

Looking for some info on how to become a childminder. I have 2 children one is at nursery and the other is 14 months. After having a terrible year I am now getting back on my feet and wanting/needing to get back into work. I was thinking of doing childminding. Is it worth doing it if you only look after one child at a time? Then I could still go to events etc at school. Also I don't drive. Is this a must have for a childminder? I take my kids loads of places like museums, pre school days, toddler groups, parks etc and go on the bus. How do I get into doing it? I'll probably wait until my eldest is at school full time.

nannynick Fri 16-Dec-16 12:02:46

Location is important. If you have places to go near you in walking distance or accessible on public transport then not driving is not an issue. If you have a local school in walking distance, see what demand there is for after-school care.

Contact your local authority Early Years department for information about childminder training.

PoisonousSmurf Wed 21-Dec-16 23:14:53

Unless you like lots of paperwork and regulations and the feeling that your home is not your own. Go for it!
It's not what it used to be, it certainly will not be a viable way to make a living unless there is a desperate need for a childminder in your area.
Sorry, but I did it for 6 years and it got worse and worse (the regulations and paperwork).

wineandsunshine Thu 22-Dec-16 13:32:29

I think there are pros and cons to it like any job. For me it works around my family well, in that I can be with my own small children whilst I earn money from home. It does include paperwork and regulations yes, but if you keep on top of it then it isn't that bad! The only thing I would say that from starting 4 years ago I have had little support from anyone at all - no training opportunities, no visits from LA for help etc.
Maybe look into any local CMs and ask them along with contacting your LA Childrens services for advice!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now