Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Childminding with own children

(10 Posts)
lizface27 Fri 09-Dec-16 20:56:24

I'm looking into becoming a childminder as I love to be able to work from home. I currently have 2 children and would love to be able to still have the flexibility to attend special things for them such as nativity's, sports days etc, I was wondering how other childminders go about this sort of thing? Thanks in advance.

The2ndSpartacus Fri 09-Dec-16 21:00:21

I bring my mindees to sports days and plays. They love it. On sports day we have a picnic and they take part in the "little brothers and sisters" race. They are in awe at school plays and wave like idiots to my ds on the stage grin, it's great.
Obviously there may be times when it's not possible to put your own kids first (the tough thing about childminding) like if mindee drop offs conflict with timings of school plays or whatever. But for the most part, I have no problems.

TryingtobePrepared Fri 23-Dec-16 01:39:22

Dd1 has a cm & she mixes things so sometimes she says she can't have x or y until a certain time to fit in a school thing for her Ds sometimes she takes them along. Also she has a contingency plan with other cms so there are people she can suggest to fill in. This isn't as strange as it sounds they often do days out together etc so they know each other.

attheendoftheday Sun 29-Jan-17 18:49:44

My dds go with their cm to see her kids in their school things.

HelenDenver Sun 29-Jan-17 18:51:04

You may not be able to get enough tickets for mindees - check first!

queenvomit Sun 29-Jan-17 18:57:22

My CM takes my DS with her everywhere, dentist, her own children's sports day, assemblies, concerts etc .. even the weekly food shop!

I think it's great, always gives us something to talk about when I pick him up.

I love it that she does "normal, real life" things with him.

Starlight2345 Sun 29-Jan-17 18:58:41

Depends on school..Our school doesn't allow pre school... When my DS did plays in infants I booked the day off. Sports day I take the kids , we make flags but also take picnic games . My ds does know though if it isn't working I just have to leave..

After school activities are the hardest to negotiate.My DS can only do activites if it falls on a night I don't have school children as I can make the children walk home have 10 minutes and then walk back and collect him.

I will say sometimes the hardest thing is your own children come bottom of the pecking order.

Lilaclily Sun 29-Jan-17 19:00:36

I don't think it's the job for you if you want to see school plays

Just like if you're a teacher it'll be hard to get time off in school terms in the day

Snap8TheCat Sun 29-Jan-17 22:21:59

As a cm you are SE and therefore set your own holidays. Not difficult at all to get term time holiday if you choose.

Maryann1975 Mon 30-Jan-17 12:53:35

I generally find it a nightmare taking my minded children to anything at school. Obviously it depends on the children, the 3 and 4 year old I have a the moment are fine, but with the mobile baby, I can think of nothing worse than sitting through school assembly. Sports day is equally as bad. Little children just don't get that they have to sit and watch, they want to run off, meaning I have to run after them and entertain them, meaning I miss what I actually wanted to see. I try as hard as I can to arrange alternative care for the mindees wherever I can for school events or to send dh or my mum to things instead.
I hear people saying that childminding is a good job to fit in with your own family. yes, I'm at home and get to do the school runs, but it really isn't the same as if I were a SAHM.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now