Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Concerns about nanny

(14 Posts)
se22mother Wed 07-Dec-16 10:41:10

Hi,I have concerns about my nanny who joined us in August to arrive at my house at 6 to take dd to school for 8:30. I discovered last week that she had been dropping dd in the playground considerably earlier that the allowed 8:20. She apparently has to run to another job so has been leaving dd alone in an unattended playground. I reminded her this week that dd cannot be left before 8:20 and she just says "ok". However now I feel that the trust bestowed on her to care adequately for my child has gone. Do I tell her that it isn't going to work or give another chance whilst ignoring the feeling of unease I now have? Wwyd?

AveEldon Wed 07-Dec-16 10:44:52

You need a new nanny

nannynick Wed 07-Dec-16 11:14:09

Confirm with the school that DD is still being left before the appropriate time.
Discuss again with the nanny and issue a written warning if appropriate or give notice as per your contractual agreement.
Start looking for a new nanny.

lunchboxtroubles Wed 07-Dec-16 11:27:15

That's gross misconduct - I would sack her. but make sure you do it all correctly.

MyschoolMyrules Wed 07-Dec-16 11:36:36

You need to discuss this with her properly. Sit down make a cup of tea and tell her what you know, and tell her why it's not right. My feeling is that you will sack her anyway, but she needs to know that it is not the right thing to do, although to me it looks pretty obvious. Next time make sure that your instructions are very clear, nanny needs to stay in the playground until the bell rings.

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 07-Dec-16 14:05:02

Obv no nanny should leave any child unattended in a school playground

Who had told you this - df - teacher - another mum

Personally I think the trust has gone so you need to dismiss. Under misconduct

Dozer Wed 07-Dec-16 14:09:56

Gross misconduct and dismissal!

Hels20 Wed 07-Dec-16 14:40:00

I agree with all of the above BUT you are incredibly lucky to have found someone who will do a job from 6am and who isn't live in... I live in London and it would be v difficult to find someone to do this - esp if you aren't going to keep them for the day.

So - depending on how easy it will be to replace her (or maybe it won't matter), I would give her a second chance but start looking.

se22mother Wed 07-Dec-16 14:53:51

Thanks everyone for the advice

ittybittyluna Wed 07-Dec-16 16:43:35

I drop two little ones at school four mornings a week. I deposit them in the classroom with a hug and a kiss. I sometimes have another job to go to, but it starts 30 mins after the end of my paid period of work for my early morning family. What your nanny is doing is unacceptable. You need to get the details and talk to her, with the likely outcome of letting her go.

se22mother Wed 07-Dec-16 19:23:01

Ittybitty you sound lovely

Sioplay Tue 28-Mar-17 17:58:03

Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar experience. We found out that our nanny has been lying about the how he spends his day with our daughter. An example would be he said he took her to the park but actually took her shopping or for lunch with friends.

He also claims that our request to fill out a daily log is unheard of in the nanny world and us struggling to keep up with the kids chores... our nursery just told us he is often late when picking up our daughter from nursery.

I asked him to discuss and he resigned through a text message and left us in the lurch for childcare.

He then proceeded to send a lot of messages saying he never wants to see us and will send our keys etc... I actually had to tell him to stop messaging me and contact my husband directly.

I wouldn't wish this stress and worry in anyone. Can anyone offer advice?

Badhairday1001 Tue 28-Mar-17 18:15:53

I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving my child with her. She is seriously lacking good judgement and I wouldn't be able to trust her.

nannynick Tue 28-Mar-17 19:37:01

Sioplay - some kind of daily diary is common. Personally I didn't do one but when the children were little we did quite a lot of photos, had a mileage log and used a calendar system. As the children are older now, each child has a digital calendar and photos are less common but still occur when events happen at school and during school holidays.

>our nursery just told us he is often late when picking up our daughter from nursery.

That is not a good sign. Nannies are usually extremely good at timekeeping, though the occasion mishap can occur - we all know how getting children out of the door can sometimes take a while! Sound like this nanny wasn't great... did his references give any hint that timekeeping might be an issue?

>he resigned through a text message and left us in the lurch for childcare.

That wasn't very professional of him.

End the contract, provide the P45 (or whatever paperwork you need to do in your country) and try to move on. Many nannies are very organised people, good timekeepers and act professionally.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now