Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Au pair flying home frustrations!

(66 Posts)
Pattakiller Sun 04-Dec-16 17:57:08

Au pair had told us some time ago that she wanted to stay with us for Christmas and go home just after - all fine.

I had asked her a couple of times in the last month if she had booked her flights, and she hadn't got round to it yet. A couple of days ago I noticed she posted on facebook that she had booked her flight - didn't mention anything to us. I asked her today, and yes - she has booked a 6am flight from the 5th closest airport to us hmm

I asked if she had a plan to get there, having previously explained this airport was hard to get to and there was a coach running once a day to it. She was hoping we would take her, or she would get a bus or train. To be fair we had vaguely said that we would be visiting family about an hours drive from this airport after Christmas and we could possibly combine it with a visit to London/getting her to a train station nearer to the airport. However, she has booked the flight without checking the time or date with us at all!

Am I being unfair to be really annoyed by this expectation that we will arrange our plans to suit her, when she didn't even tell us about the flight until I asked?

therealpippi Sun 04-Dec-16 18:04:27

Yanbu to be annoyed.

If she did not involve you in her planning she then cannot expect you to be involved in how she gets there.

If it is not an inconvenience I'd take her but if it clashes with all your plans I wouldn't.

JennyOnAPlate Sun 04-Dec-16 18:23:41

Yanbu. A 6am flight would seriously interfere with my plans to be asleep! She'll have to check in at 4 presumably!

I would make sure she has exhausted all other methods of getting there before agreeing to take her, that's for sure.

Pattakiller Sun 04-Dec-16 19:33:39

I just don't understand why she wouldn't check if it was feasible before booking the flight - and why not at least tell us immediately!

We're going to be driving to Kent the afternoon before the flight, and she is flying from Stansted - I can't see a sensible way to get her there for 4am, so I've said she's going to have to get to the airport before midnight and wait - I feel like I'm being cruel though.

LIZS Sun 04-Dec-16 19:37:56

She'll have to stay in the travelodge/premier inn and get up early if she expects a lift.

DailyCRAPMail Sun 04-Dec-16 19:46:07

That's so silly of her. I'm happy to take my DC to the airport but I won't do middle of the night runs.....

I'd drop her the night before. I doubt she will be the only one waiting there overnight.

Pattakiller Sun 04-Dec-16 19:53:14

I'm worried adding in a stay at an airport hotel and transfers will just add more chances for things going wrong!

I did make clear when we initially talked that Stansted was a fair way outside of London, and that we would be able to get her to London if it coincided with our visit. She doesn't want to have to travel across London on her own either though!

Pattakiller Sun 04-Dec-16 19:54:37

We would have happily taken her to our local airport, even in the middle of the night, however it would have meant further for her parents to drive to pick her up at the other end.

DailyCRAPMail Sun 04-Dec-16 19:55:13

What about dropping her at gatwick on your way to Kent then she can catch a National Express bus to Stanstead? She could arrive late at night and hang around for her flight.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sun 04-Dec-16 19:57:06

Ffs what a daft thing to do!confused

BratFarrarsPony Sun 04-Dec-16 19:57:17

Yes the airport bus is the way forwards, it goes round the M25 I think. Tough for her if she has to hang around at the airport for a few hours really.

venys Sun 04-Dec-16 19:59:00

One time I accidentally missed a flight from there by a couple of minutes so had to stay at a local B&B. They were lovely and were happy to take us at a similar time back to the airport to get the first flight out. Maybe you could investigate that? But yes YANBU - I get annoyed at other peoples inability to plan properly.

JerryFerry Sun 04-Dec-16 20:01:41

I'll bet she picked a 6am flight because it was the cheapest option. She won't want to fork out for an airport hotel!

She sounds...young

VintagePerfumista Sun 04-Dec-16 20:05:47

To be fair, she probably booked it from Stansted because it was the cheapest.

Why are you feeling under any obligation to take her? You had said it may be possible, now you say it isn't. She gets a National Express or two, overnight presumably.

It's not your problem unless you make it so. She's not a baby.

When I au-paired there was no question of being accompanied anywhere other than the nearest bus station!

Just say "well obviously as you'll need to be at Stansted by (say) 4 am, then we won't be able to take you, so have a look at the National Express website, you'll probably need to change or go the previous day and crash down in the airport"

Karoleann Sun 04-Dec-16 20:06:17

There's no way I would have taken any of mine for a 6am flight....she'll just need tog get the once a day bus and go the day before if necessary.

MrsJayy Sun 04-Dec-16 20:07:02

Urgh she could have told you get her booked in to airport hotel drop her on your way to Kent get her to book a taxi or see if there is a bus from airport hotel that is the only logical way imo

CondensedMilkSarnies Sun 04-Dec-16 20:09:56

Could you get her to Liverpool Steeet station ? There's a Stanstead express train that goes from there .

Pattakiller Sun 04-Dec-16 20:10:53

Argh there's just no way I can see to sort this that doesn't involve time/expense and changing our plans angry

We would be going past Gatwick mid afternoon the day before, so I think that would be too long for her to hang around an airport.

Yes - I've just checked the flights and there is a much more sensible evening one but it is 3 times the price. If she had asked we would have said get that, or even better the one the evening before and we could have dropped her at Gatwick in time to get the airport bus to Stansted.

CondensedMilkSarnies Sun 04-Dec-16 20:11:25

www.stanstedexpress.com/timetable/timetable

shinynewusername Sun 04-Dec-16 20:11:49

National Express airport coach - she'll be fine. And next time, she'll check beforehand smile

VintagePerfumista Sun 04-Dec-16 20:18:16

Let her sort it out!

Unless she has some contract with you which promises babysitting and handholding whenever she travels!

Not your problem, not your monkeys. Leave her to it.

Pattakiller Sun 04-Dec-16 20:18:36

I could take her into London for the afternoon/evening the day before while DH takes the kids to where we're staying - then I could put her on a train at Liverpool Street at say 10pm, so she'd get to the airport around 11pm and then wait overnight.
I could then get a train to the station nearest where we're staying and pay a fortune on a taxi.
I'm annoyed though.

If she had booked a flight for that evening we could have dropped her at Gatwick. If she had booked for the following evening we could have all had a day out in London before putting her on a train at tea time.

VintagePerfumista Sun 04-Dec-16 20:21:12

And I repeat....why are you making this your problem? You're getting all worked up over something a) you hadn't promised b) she hasn't even asked for! (or am I missing something?)

LIZS Sun 04-Dec-16 20:22:21

Can't she get national express from Gatwick to Stansted?

Pattakiller Sun 04-Dec-16 20:23:06

She could, but she'd be waiting 15 hours at Stansted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now