Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

how to go about getting a nanny for the first time - recommended agencies?

(25 Posts)
Tutter Fri 16-Feb-07 13:49:43

title says it all really - am new to the area so don't have any recommendations

Tutter Fri 16-Feb-07 13:55:13

another question to help: do nanny agencies tend to be nationwide, or smaller and local? if the latter, how do you go about finding them (other than yellow pages i mean)?

eleusis Fri 16-Feb-07 14:33:21

Agencies are very expensive. You don't have to use one. But, if money isn't an issue, some people have had some good experience (and some have had some bad experiences).

Where are you? They do tend to operate regionally.

jura Fri 16-Feb-07 15:56:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Tutter Fri 16-Feb-07 17:57:01

just outside henley on thames - berkshire

until december was in kew and i'm sure would have been served by a gazillion of agencies...

nannynick Fri 16-Feb-07 18:33:21

Rachel at Lollipop Childcare I find is very good. Contact: 01753 832124 Not sure if Lollipop covers Henley on Thames or not, though does cover some other parts of Berkshire so worth a chat with Rachel to see if she can help you.

Tutter Fri 16-Feb-07 19:24:13

thanks nannynick - have noted their details

jura Fri 16-Feb-07 19:26:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

eleusis Fri 16-Feb-07 19:36:48

Can I ask why you want to use an agency? It is definately possible do do your own hiring -- especially with the support of the collective wisdom of mumsnet. I work with a guy who had a truly horrible experience with an agency. It was so bad they have sworn off ever considering a nanny again. I started to give him advice one day in the coffee room and he said "thanks, but NEVER again." He lives in Berkshire. I can ask what agency if you want. Though I think it was several years ago, so it might be different now.

Tutter Fri 16-Feb-07 21:55:03

i don't know whether i do, eleusis

don't know where to start tbh and would welcome any pointers, thanks

mogs0 Fri 16-Feb-07 23:00:21

A lot of the London agencies cover areas outside London.

www.nannyjob.co.uk have a list of agencies.

Speaking as a (former) nanny, I never held that much faith in agencies. I always found my nanny jobs through families advertising in The Lady or through word of mouth.

eleusis Sat 17-Feb-07 08:45:13

Tutter,

I would start my posting and ad on gumtree, nannyjob, and greataupair.com. In the ad you should include such things as where the job is, the hours involved, a basic job description (number of kids, kf nursery duties are expected, etc). And in that ad ask for a CV and a photo to be e-mailed to you from interested candidates. You will probably recieve loads of e-mails.

Choose a few you like, say 5 or so and send them a standard questionnaire (I have one I can share if you like). Ask them to complete it and return it to you by reply e-mail.

Then choose say 3 and proceed to interview.

I don't mention the salary on offer at least until I have short listed the questionaires, and perhaps as late as the interview. I want someone who is interested in the job, not the salary.

eleusis Sat 17-Feb-07 08:47:27

Oh, duh. I just realised who you are. I've seen you on the West London meet-up thread. I hear Henley is very nice, but I've never been. How was the move? Do you like it?

JOSIE3 Sat 17-Feb-07 08:55:38

I agree with eleusis - many agencies just don't cut it, but i think that if you choose to look for your nanny independantly then you should at least give a general indication of salary.
nannyjob has a whole section on employing a nanny - as a guideline.

http://www.nannyjob.co.uk/index.shtml

ponylove Sat 17-Feb-07 09:24:11

I put a card up in the local shop which worked. I wasn't looking for qualifications though just a genuine love of children and enthusiastic attitude. Word of mouth from the ad found Jenna who the children adore within weeks. I've lived here for ever though so was able to get unofficial references so was unlikely to get nasty surprise. Hell of a lot cheaper than agency too

Tutter Sat 17-Feb-07 09:48:07

thanks all

eleusis - would be very grateful to see your questionnaire, thanks - i'm mrs dot tutter at hotmail dot co dot uk

eleusis Mon 19-Feb-07 08:38:05

E-mailed you from my work address. Let me know if you don't get it.

Tutter Mon 19-Feb-07 10:39:44

nothing yet...

eleusis Tue 20-Feb-07 16:31:09

Did you get it? I sent it again yesterday.

Tutter Tue 20-Feb-07 17:24:58

nope

shall i CAT you? then i can give you an alternative email address...

FuppyShipple Tue 20-Feb-07 17:47:47

ok, cat me.

Eleusis Tue 20-Feb-07 17:49:24

Oh bugger. Must change name back.

amelia02 Tue 20-Feb-07 20:37:15

Make sure your agency interviews their nannies - you'd be amazed but some don't even meet them!!! We had a good experience with Lauvic who are Oxford based but they may stretch to Berkshire?? Not sure, so sorry if that's not helpful! They provided police checks - not sure if you can do that yourself??

Eleusis Tue 20-Feb-07 20:47:43

I would interview myself. In person first impressions are worth so much. The agency rep might think "oh, she'slovely" and you might think "ewwww, she's odd"

amelia02 Tue 20-Feb-07 20:52:00

God, yes of course interview yourself and see how they interact with the children too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now