What to pay nanny for Christmas

(12 Posts)
DailyCRAPMail Mon 05-Dec-16 00:07:55

I'd do your suggestion.

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 04-Dec-16 22:27:20

The dc are still at school so op can still do things

As others have said you have chosen not to use her so needs to be paid

The bonus is seperate

If you think for the other 51w of the year she has done well then give her a bonus

yoowhoo Sun 04-Dec-16 11:31:02

I think a Christmas bonus would be lovely but don't feel you have to. I'm a nanny and I completely disagree with what northern said. Don't start thinking if you don't give her a bonus that she will leave in the new year. That's a ridiculous thing to say!

sleepwhenidie Fri 02-Dec-16 22:34:30

Agree with everyone from Pacific onwards. Whether she deserves a bonus is completely separate from whether you should pay her for 3 days. But maybe you should use at least some time during those 3 days to make life easier or more fun for yourself, have an afternoon or night out with DH, or get her to take dc's off your hands so you can get last minute jobs done?

underneaththeash Fri 02-Dec-16 22:30:25

I agree with the PP, however, are you sure you don't want her for half a day 19-21st just to get the last few Xmas stuff done? There's nothing wrong with her taking the children out for half a day whilst you get the wrapping done.

Sixweekstowait Fri 02-Dec-16 17:23:22

Your husband is being mean - giving her a bonus as you usually do will only mean spending the same amount of money as if you were working until 21st iyswim.

whinetasting Fri 02-Dec-16 17:19:57

Thank you. I knew I was right. smile. Bonus is voluntary not contractual, but she'll get the money for the days we've said not to bother coming in plus the usual bonus. She shouldn't lose out money because we don't need her. Thanks.

OP’s posts: |
Northernlurker Fri 02-Dec-16 17:12:35

Tell your dh to get a grip. The three days pay us just that - her pay.

Give her a bonus if she deserves it and be mindful that if you don't you could well find yourself looking for a new nanny in the new year.

PacificDogwod Fri 02-Dec-16 17:08:13

You need to pay her for her contracted hours, whether you then need her or not.

A Christmas bonus is entirely voluntary (unless you have one contractually agreed?) and a totally separate issue.
Fwiw, our nanny is worth her weight in gold and she gets a bonus simply as a token of our appreciation that goes she is very flexible (our jobs demand that at times), goes beyond the call of duty and is always cheerful (honestly, I wish I could bottle what she's got!).
So, give or don't give your nanny a bonus depending on whether you think she deserves one.

SilenceOfThePrams Fri 02-Dec-16 17:04:25

You don't have to give her a bonus at all, but you can't think paying her her contracted hours is actually a bonus, surely? That's just giving her money she's expecting to receive, for the hours she is expecting to work. Fair enough you don't need her, but you could still have her come in; its your choice to tell her not to.

tshirtsuntan Fri 02-Dec-16 17:00:09

I think it depends on your contract, if she's self employed you have no obligation to pay her for holidays, if you employ her there is a legal amount of paid statutory holiday hours per year.

whinetasting Fri 02-Dec-16 16:56:27

We have a before and after school nanny. The agreement is that she works for us every day that school happens, looking after 2 children, for £12 ph net.
The children's school breaks up on the 21st, I am on holiday from the 19th. I was going to tell her not to come in 19-21st as obviously I'll be at home. I would naturally still pay her for these days. However, we usually give her a bonus at Christmas equivalent to about half her weekly wages again- basically the amount we are paying her for the three days we are telling her she doesn't need to come in.
I think we have two separate issues- we have to pay her for the three days because school is on and she is available to work for us, and that is the agreement. If we change the arrangement then this is our lookout. Therefore I think we need to pay her for the 3 days PLUS Xmas bonus. DH thinks that the 3 days we are paying her for not turning up is her Xmas bonus and we don't need to give her anything else.
Which of us is correct?

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in