This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Getting free child care

(7 Posts)
Lissai87 Sun 27-Nov-16 17:58:16

Hi , I qualify for 16 hours free child care as I am now a single parent. Only trouble is I work nights and cannot find a registered child minder in those hours. I have a family friend who is an ofsted registered child minder who is happy to look after her but I've seen that nannies don't qualify for free child care. Is there any way I can get around this as I really need this job but looks like I am going to have to quit as i have no one to have my daughter .

Lissai87 Sun 27-Nov-16 18:12:08

That msg doesn't make sense she is an ofsted registered nanny not a child minder, I can't c how being a nanny or child minder is any difference .

nannynick Sun 27-Nov-16 19:57:13

What is the 16 hours free childcare you refer to? I know of 15 hours early education and from September 2017 there is 30 hours childcare.
You are right that neither would apply for a nanny.
Things that do apply though are Employer Supported Childcare/childcare vouchers and Tax-Free Childcare (starts sometime in 2017).

BikeRunSki Sun 27-Nov-16 20:06:17

It's not childcare, it's Early Years Education, and is not as flexible as private childcare.

nannynick Sun 27-Nov-16 20:37:09

Have a look at what benefits you may be able to get such as childcare element of working tax credit or childcare element of Universal Credit.

www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-guides/Childcare-element-of-Working-Tax-Credit/What-is-the-childcare-element-of-Working-Tax-Credi
about.universalcredit.service.gov.uk/kms/Pages/Qualifying_for_Childcare_Costs_element.htm

lovelynannytobe Mon 28-Nov-16 13:26:41

Free hours cannot be used for overnight care unfortunately as it is not free childcare but free early years education which can't be done when child is asleep. If you work you probably qualify for childcare element of tax credits which at the moment can cover 70% of the fees. This can be used for overnight childcare either at childminder's or by using an Ofsted registered nanny.

tubasinthemoonlight Tue 29-Nov-16 21:48:18

I used to be a childminder and provided overnight care for one child. The parent claimed the child care element of Working Tax Credit which covered 70% of all her child care costs. She was a single parent. There are child minders who will offer this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now