Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

How much should I pay?

(21 Posts)
onlyconnect Tue 22-Nov-16 18:03:14

.... a 19 year old regular babysitter with a level 3 childcare qualification is looking after two children aged 10 and 3 years for 25 hours, Sat to Sun including over night. The little one often wakes up once in the night but goes back to sleep easily and then gets up at around 7.
How much do you think I should pay her?

Callaird Tue 22-Nov-16 19:09:48

This is an 'how long is a piece of string' question. It depends on how much you want to pay and how much she wants to receive.

I get £220 for those hours with children sleeping through for 12 hours. If they don't sleep 12 hours, I'd charge £10 extra for each hour or part there of, they are awake. So if they woke at 2am for 5-10 minutes I'd charge £10 because I know that I would go to sleep for ages. I'm a nanny of 31 years and I don't like working weekends so it has to be worth it! I charge £15 per hour at the weekend if it is less than an 10 hour day, £10 if over night and £50 from 11pm and 7am.

A 19 year old may do it for £80. Ask her what she wants, tell her what you are willing to pay and meet in the middle!

onlyconnect Tue 22-Nov-16 20:05:55

Your post illustrates how right you are about the piece of string Callaird! I hope she'll do it for a lot less than you would as she's younger and less experienced.

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 22-Nov-16 21:37:44

Your youngest may go back to sleep for you easily but with a bs instead of her mum she may not

Payment varies

I would be in same ballpark as Callaird tho also old and experienced

What were you thinking of paying?

Bare minimum of £5/6ph daytime for 12hrs - 60/72

What do you usually pay her per hour?

Plus overnight and soon adds up

Mamatallica Tue 22-Nov-16 22:46:37

I used to do similar for £5 an hour up until quite recently.

onlyconnect Wed 23-Nov-16 11:10:42

I was thinking of £130 total. I normally pay £7 per hour ( she does about 5 hours a week regularly for me). But £130 comes to £7 ph for awake hours then only £30 for over night.

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Thu 24-Nov-16 10:41:58

£130 for the whole weekend?! shock

Here age has nothing to do with it, that's simply not enough. She won't give up her weekend for that, surely?!

I pay my babysitter £8 per hour pre-midnight, £10 after. If I used her overnight I'd expect to pay a min of £10 per hour overnight.

onlyconnect Thu 24-Nov-16 13:59:07

Wow ok whatthefreakinwhatnow I'll pay more. It's for 25 hours, but yes, the bulk of the weekend

HaPPy8 Sat 26-Nov-16 22:01:12

Is that £130 cash in hand? I would think most 19 year olds would jump at it!

BackforGood Sat 26-Nov-16 22:08:48

I agree wìth happy8
If she has something else (exciting) on, then she wont agree to do it, but if she hasn't got plans then shell be delighted to walk away with that kind of cash.
I know my dc (aged 18 and 20) would be delighted with £130.

eastmidswarwicknightnanny Sun 11-Dec-16 18:57:54

If it helps most nanny agencies recommend £150-175 per 24hrs care.

I charge similar to calliard and blondes again experienced (and older )

Doglikeafox Sun 11-Dec-16 19:11:18

I'm 19 and a childminder who offers overnight care (only in my own home though). I would charge my usual rate per child (4.25 per child, per hour) for the awake hours and then my overnight rate (40 for the night per child) which is 7pm- 7am, so that would be about 190ish.
People could argue she charges less because the children aren't using resources from her own home (doesn't need to wash bedding, buy them food etc) or she charges more because she isn't in the comfort of her own home.
I would be annoyed if someone tried to charge me less because I'm 19. I have worked with children for the past 6 years, and would expect my pay to be based on 6 years experience, not on my age. You could hire a 30 year old who has never been in sole care of a child before.

Doglikeafox Sun 11-Dec-16 19:15:24

pay me less* sorry

AndNowItsSeven Sun 11-Dec-16 19:15:30

Dog you don't have six years experience though, you have three tops. Babysitting when you were a 13 year old child yourself doesn't really count.
Op £130 sound very fair for a teenager assuming they are doing it for extra income and it's not their job they have to pay the bills.

Doglikeafox Sun 11-Dec-16 19:25:02

Well thank you for that advice but I was actually hired as a childminder's assistant at 13, and worked part time in a nursery at 15, becoming a nanny at 17.
I was actually babysitting from 11 so I'll say I have 8 years experience next time grin

thisgirlrides Sun 11-Dec-16 19:59:41

Dog you can't be a cm assistant when you are a child!

Doglikeafox Sun 11-Dec-16 20:20:57

I'm not sure what you want me to say... I was hired by a childminder, under the job title of a 'childminder's assistant', assisting said childminder in looking after the children, 6 years ago. confused

thisgirlrides Sun 11-Dec-16 21:29:48

Sorry Dog not having a go but the relevance of age is generally lack of experience and with the best will in the world, helping out as a teenager is not the same. The assumption everyone is making about the op is minimal or no experience and pay should therefore reflect this.
Op I think £150 for a 19 year old doing it for cash over the weekend is fair and most teens I know would jump at the chance.

lovelynannytobe Sun 11-Dec-16 22:36:42

Agree with thisgirlrides. You couldn't have been responsible for children in childminder's care at 13. You could have been hired as a help to tidy up, wash up, help with crafts etc but that's all. You being there wouldn't increase childminder's capacity. That does not make a childminder's assistant.

Doglikeafox Sun 11-Dec-16 23:12:54

I appreciate what you are saying about experience coming with age. However it isn't always possible to look at someone's age and make a relevant judgement on their experience. For those of you who don't wish to count childcare experience as anything where I wasn't solely responsible for the charge, you must at least count the last 2 years spent working as a nanny, looking after 3 children a day, 9-12 hours a day, 5 days a week. My point is that at 19 you may not expect that I would have that experience, but I do.
Anyone who is legally allowed to work (age 13 and over in the U.K.) can be a childminder's assistant, even if they can't count into the ratios. OFSTED says that an assistant under the age of 18 can not count in the ratios or be left alone with the mindees. I personally don't see why I would not count preparing meals for the children, playing with them, being a second pair of hands and eyes and spending huge amount of time in the presence of childminders and children as childcare experience, regardless of my age at the time. If I was old enough to be taking it in and learning from it, then it is experience is it not?

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 14-Dec-16 00:49:02

Slightly off topic but I agree with others who say a 13yr spending time with a cm can't count that as years experience as would only be allowed to work 12hrs a week and that's 2 a day on school days

And seems very weird to be classed as cm assistant if can't be left alone with the children or used for ofsted purposes as under 18

Back to op. What did you decide to do in the end?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now