Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Au pair in Spain and parents visiting

(8 Posts)
bevelino Sat 19-Nov-16 18:07:11

My dd (18) will be working as an au pair in Spain from January. Do you think it would be ott to visit her after a month to check that all is going well?

Dd is not unduly worried about going as one of her best friends will be working as an au pair nearby.

insancerre Sat 19-Nov-16 18:09:23

Yes!
Just phone her, you really don't need to check up on her

danTDM Sat 19-Nov-16 18:13:21

For me this is a bit too much but, I live here and it is ALL ABOUT FAMILY. They would think it entirely normal and welcome you.

BratFarrarsPony Sat 19-Nov-16 18:15:47

I think a month would be a bit quick. After all you have facebook and skype.
Maybe after two or three months when she will have found her feet a bit more and will be able to show you around?
I was in Austria at that age and wish my mother had come, I was having a horrible time!

bevelino Sat 19-Nov-16 18:21:53

Insancerre, thank you for your reply and I will heed your advice. I think I'm more nervous about it than dd, who is beyond excited about going. Dd has had skype chats with the children each week, has booked herself into a language college and best friend is constantly messaging her and waxing lyrical about how great life is.

bevelino Sat 19-Nov-16 18:26:12

DanTDM do you mean it would be too much to visit after a month? I think I'll see how she is getting on as we can skype and message each other.

danTDM Sun 20-Nov-16 09:09:15

Yes, for me it would seem a bit too soon maybe, but I am English! I was saying it would not seem at all odd/too soon to a Spanish family at all! I'd probably wait 3 months to give her time to settle in. Whereabouts is she going?

bevelino Sun 20-Nov-16 10:58:44

DanTDM dd will be staying in Madrid. Thank you for your advice btw.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now